Caught a few with boolies

creekychub

I tied a few boolie style jigs of various weights and materials and thought I'd give them a shot.

View attachment 1
We caught several nice bass and a few small walleye on the boolie with a #18 dry fly hook tied on as a bait keeper with a twister tail.
View attachment 2
View attachment 3

I even managed a few nice stripers down at Lake Powell with a boolie/baitkeeper and swimbait combo.
View attachment 4
p.s. Those stripers were a blast to catch, and we caught a lot of them, story for a different post...

Attachments

• some boolies.jpg
    some boolies.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Boolie Box.jpg
    Boolie Box.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20130602_162950.jpg
    IMG_20130602_162950.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20130601_222018_324.jpg
    IMG_20130601_222018_324.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_0225.JPG
    100_0225.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 93

Hawnjigs

KISS
I don't use plastics anymore, but used to Superglue a bead stack(cheap plastic ones) behind the prop for grip.

Is that your Dad or just a flash effect?

Yah, Powell striper report. Never been, too long a drive from Greeley. Can't imagine from Omaha.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice multi-species report and cool idea to use the fly hooks as keepers. I have created 'bait keepers' in the past but have used carpenter staples bent to desired shape. Problem is, they will get bent up too many times and eventually break..... your fly hooks should not do that.

........scenery in the background is beautiful. L.Powell is one place i would love to get out and see.

creekychub

The Scenery around Powell is simply amazing!
I've used the fly hook keeper before and had great success, It was only a matter of time until I tried it on a boolie.
Hawn- Yeah that's my dad with the bass, I guess you could say it's me with a "30 years later" camera filter..

JUNGLEJIM1

Nice variety of fish caught on the Boolie. I flew over Powell on my way to California earlier this year and the lake is huge even at 37,000 feet. The lake is way down below normal, well over 100 feet. The white rock in back ground is normal level, at least that's what I was told by a gentleman on the plane.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Holy moly, 100' down and still deep and massive?!

Creeky, did you have any problems with material tangling in the prop?

creekychub

Hawn- Honestly we had no issues with the props. The one thing I'd like to improve though is heavier heads. The biggest heads I used were 1/4 oz and they didn't sink fast enough to get the attention I was hoping for (at L.Powell). I'm thinking some 3/8 or heavier with a more streamlined shape (bullet maybe?) would've improved sink rate and potential fish encounters. It seems like the prop slows sink rate significantly. Like Junglejim mentioned, the lake was down 100', but we were still fishing in 250'+ feet of water!!! (some places we measured 400'). We had to chum fish up from ~115' to ~30' to see action, but it worked.

Hawnjigs

KISS
In your second pic, tie material is visibly close to the prop - I had a problem with gold Flashabou overtie getting wrapped by the spin so now I undertie.

That kind of deep open water looks like ocean fishing gear might be appropriate. Used to use Do-it 3/8 to 1 oz. arrow jig heads on 15-20# mono for attaching plastics, but now that I've switched to braid think 3/8 and 1/2 oz. shad darts for the same species apps would be sufficient. Yes, slower fall enabled by a prop is a great advantage especially in shallow snaggy areas and heavier jigs might be advantageous for quicker depth penetration. Personally I think a compact chunky head is the quickest sinker.

Back