CATFISH

catfishfever

I was really surprised when I came to this (forum(?) fish), and seen that Catfish were lumped in with "other fish":huh:. Yet Whitebass have their own thread, those "huge 3, maybe 4 pounders. Yet what I consider, I'm sure there are others, who consider Catfish a worthy and significant member of the sport fish family, considering they weigh in in any where from the 30 to 100lb plus range;).
I realize I'm " new guy", but I just feel Catfish are ignored as compared to other species. I'm off the soap box, thanks for reading.

catfishfever

Hawnjigs said:
Can the big uns be targeted on jigs?

They sure can. In the winter we use jigs(3/4oz) with cut bait (Milford Lake, Ks) with a little chunk of cut bait, deep water, just under the schools of shad(when it ain't froze, like it is now:mad:).
Quite a few of the guy's I know will fish the riprap (dam and causeway) in the spring with a jig under a float, and catch some nice Flatheads.

I'd like to add, I didn't mean to sound like I was cutting down the Whitebass, great little fighters. I just feel Catfish are'nt appreciated enough as a sport fish. I think we deserve a species thread too!

toadfrog

Matter of fact Hawn I got a buddy in New Mexico plans on doing just that . I tied up 2 of those you sent me for him. Don't be surprised if I jump up and order a bunch of heads.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
CFF - I think we could seperate the cats into their own section... give me a few days... ;) You are correct in the fact that cats do not get the recognition they deserve sometimes - they are fun to catch!

As far as targeting them... I do have 1 lake i go to several times a year specificly to catch channel cats for the smoker. The fish i am looking to take home are anything under 20" or so, they just taste better IMO. I have tight-line bottom fished it with shrimp and usually find the larger fish keep tighter to the bottom. To shoot for the 'eater' size fish, i use a 1/8th oz. jig with half a night crawler (or leech) under a slipfloat, usually set down about 15' for this lake. The combo of the heavy head/slip float makes for good distance casting. Once the bait is down, i just very slowly reel in. I also catch them occasionaly at this lake when trolling/drifting for crappie with tied minnow pattern baits.

For river fishing, i have found that spinners - clip on beetle spin type - and darker colors improve my chances with catfish on artifical bait. My focus in the river is for the smallmouth but it is always fun to hook into a healthy cat on the light-weight gear!

Radtexan

Hawnjigs said:
Can the big uns be targeted on jigs?

Ive never caught a big one on jigs,but we do catch lots of good ones chasing crappie with jigs.Mainly channel and yellows..Witnesed up to 20# on a 1/8 th oz jig,and have friends caught them in the 30 # range..

My biggest on a jig 14 #
11-13001.jpg

I might have shared this pic before,but two springs ago we were chasing some walleys with small crank baits,and light test equipment when this ole girl paid me a visit......herekitty001-1.jpg

catfishfever

Atticfish, thanks. It would sure be great to have a personal thread for "our" fish, mine any way.
Let a couple friends of mine in on your place, they said they'd come check you out. I let'em know it's a great place to visit at least.

catfishfever

Here's a picture of a 15+lb Wiper I caught in January while drifting for Catfish. I released it, but when I made my next drift, it was wriggling belly up, so I netted it to take home and eat. When the Frau seen it, she said, "WOW, you gotta get that one mounted", I didn't argue, here it is. State record Wiper is around 23lbs or so, I believe.

Attachments

• wiper.jpg
    wiper.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 48

catfishfever

Cove down below the house finally got some open water, wind blew it to the back of the cove 3 days ago. We policed up quite a few dead shad. Been fishing/catching some nice eater size Channelcats 3# +. Been using sour shad and guts, haven't had the cut bait touched, they sure gobble down the guts though.
Heading down there in just a little bit. Hope y'all had a nice weekend.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
catfishfever said:
......Been fishing/catching some nice eater size Channelcats 3# +.....

Sounds like fun to me! Currently in the dreaded in-between phase here - water too hard to cast/boat fish and too soft to ice fish. Glad you are finding some fish.

catfishfever

Atticafish, thanks for the CATFISH thread, and moving my post. Did real good today, couple of friends came down and fished with me, we wound up catching 29 Channels, released 8 (2lbs or less), those we kept were from -3lbs to 4.5.
All on sour shad and guts, mostly on the guts though.

catfishfever

catfishfever said:
Cove down below the house finally got some open water, wind blew it to the back of the cove 3 days ago. We policed up quite a few dead shad. Been fishing/catching some nice eater size Channelcats 3# +. Been using sour shad and guts, haven't had the cut bait touched, they sure gobble down the guts though.
Heading down there in just a little bit. Hope y'all had a nice weekend.

Attachments

• Jeff and Cheyenne.jpg
    Jeff and Cheyenne.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 19
Back