catfish on lures

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yah, one could maybe catch more with live or stinky bait, but getting cats on lures is funner. !0 this morning on chartreuse shad color 3" Gulp Minnows on a 1/4 HU head. 3#, 5#, lots of 7#, 10#, 15+#.

Jig Man

Not a plastic, but a hand tye... Chart/blue/Chart. 1/8oz spinner...And yes we have eaten part of it, the rest is in the freezer. 32lbs 8oz

Attachments

• IMG_1200 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1200 (800x600).jpg
    452 KB · Views: 1

Hawnjigs

KISS
After I got 2 - 15#+ wipers early AM today, gave the same 1/4 HU 3" troos shad Gulp Minnow jig to Jon & he got a 20-25# channel cat on it.

Hawnjigs

KISS
With alewives present in shallow water near shore, cats are still around as the water might gotten too warm for wallys and wipers. Mostly 3-4# with the occasional chunky surprise 10 - 20#.

Recently learned how to weightless T-rig for bass in weeds and the method worked very well for cats in snaggy rock bottom shallows. Gulp chartreuse pepper 5" Sinking Minnows cut in half have been the ticket for cats at night - both head and tail segments get bit.

Hawnjigs

KISS
In a smaller bass pond where others I've talked to don't think holds any catfish I recently got two chunks daytime - (estimated) one under fifteen and one over twenty #. Guess what they bit ?

If anyone has a similarly successful jig for cats please do tell.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Update - yesterday AM bank fishing for walleye with a Gulp troos stub on a 1/11 oz head (got 5 smaller ones up to 18") surprised by a 30# flathead.

Hawnjigs

KISS
T his AM in the dark got 12 and yesterday 16 chunky channels. Cut in half Gulp! Sinking Minnows continue to produce but this year an unscented Lunker City pearl 2-3/4" Swimfish dyed chartreuse is getting bit well too.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Gulp! Sinking Minnows cut in half is a best bang for the buck, pack of 10 = 20 when cut. Slightly longer than the stated 5" I end up with 10 each 2-1/4" head sections and 3" tails. The longer tapered tails have an enticing shimmy, and surprisingly the double ended short stubs get bit well also considering their lack of inherent action. This AM in the dark had to rock creep further out on the dam than usual to get beyond the crowd and it was well worth it with larger fish out there, average 5-7# with a few smaller and a few bigger. Jig choice was entirely light 1/13 oz 1/0 hook pinned with the 2-1/4 stub. The Sinking Minnow used was an ancient long discontinued white pearl color that was turning brown and lost some luster. Still got bit by 16 mostly chunks.

Catfish are under appreciated as a sport fish here, mostly targeted dunking bait on heavy gear. Altho my choice of 6' MF rod 2500 reel 20# braid isn't exactly light, the bigger fish sure put up a tussle and don't come in EZ, kinda like smallies. In fact one chunk I applied a bit too much pressure on the fight and the line snapped. Big water with abundant forage is the ticket for em to grow big and plentiful.

hookup

Bonus fish. Fun on ML to M small mouth gear. The initial run makes you think you have the smallie of a life time until they start the dreaded deathroll. Hooked up with a couple flathead beasts up on the Susky. They like Keitec swimbaits. Nice fight but never landed - but still not worth upsizing gear

Back