Catching a Few

JUNGLEJIM1

Colder weather this year forced everything to spawn later than normal. Lake that I thought was dying due to invasive Asian Carp eating same chow as shad. Shad used to be everywhere in this lake and now rarely see one. Crappie have been thin and sickly so I quit fishing for them at this lake for a few years. I was surprised when I came across these when I paid the lake a visit this year. Healthy fish and released them all. Biggest crappie was almost 14 inches. Lots of smaller healthy fish as well. Maybe next year I'll keep a few. View attachment 8View attachment 9View attachment 1View attachment 2

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 92
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 93

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Some nice looking fish and beautiful lake in the background as well. Did you have a color or style jig choice for the day? Heck, the scenery and water alone makes it worth it. ;) Nice shady spot on a sunny day. :)

Crappie are tough predators and will figure a way to adapt, survive, and thrive. I am watching one of my small local lakes rebound after a few years of miss management and always amazed at how nature adapts. Glad to hear you have a resource on the upswing.

JUNGLEJIM1

Caught fish on a little bit of everything. Blade baits, soft plastics, duck jigs and tied rubber tails. Best color overall was the pillhead rubbertail with the red body and glow eyes seen in the pictures toward the end.

JUNGLEJIM1

Hawn, they were probably eating mosquito fish that look like guppies, shad, insects and larvae, possibly young Asian carp. I saw some large Asian carp in the lake years ago and figure they must have spawned in the lake. This is a back water lake that fills up whenever the river next to it floods. That's how the Asian Carp got in there to start.

Back