catalina

chill49

didn't want to grab heathers question but just had a co-worker ask me if i could make him some jigs to fish catalina in mid july. i told him i didn;t have a clue what to tie but would try. any ideas about the size and what might work around that area. i told him i didn;t know a gruper from a groupie
Thanks for any help ahead of time
Charlie

Lost Pole

I don't even know what that is. First thing that came to mind when I saw the word was "the Catalina wine mixer…POW!".
Gon have to research that one. Will post what I find. Gluck

Lost Pole

Ughhhhh. Place not a fish specia. Well If they're going after reds and specks, white head red thread neck and white buck tail is what a lot of guys use down here.

LedHed

Sponsor
Can't go wrong with a red head and white body & tail. Lots of toothy critters - good epoxy body - powder paint heads. I like a red/white/green combo for the saltwater also.

I like using swimbaits (3" to 5") too - (shad 9 style head). Anchovy, holloween, and Sardine colors.

chill49

LedHed said:
Can't go wrong with a red head and white body & tail. Lots of toothy critters - good epoxy body - powder paint heads. I like a red/white/green combo for the saltwater also.

I like using swimbaits (3" to 5") too - (shad 9 style head). Anchovy, holloween, and Sardine colors.

you think a 1 oz bullet head will work for the head or will smaller heads like a snootie or walleye head 5/8 and down work. He is not a fisherman but really wants to get his daughter into fishing so I am trying to help need the young ones to keep up the fishing life:

LedHed

Sponsor
Those will work well as long as the currents aren’t running and they are using good spinning gear. Tell them to use a strip of squid with the jig. Watch out for Sculpins – if they don’t know which fish it is – find out!

SaltyBuckster

Try to find out what kind of baitfish are down there.Probably anything that sorta looks like a sardine.Take a look at the charter boats that go in the Catalina area and you will see what they use for bait.Anything that is close will get a few.

Back