Cast iron

hookup

Son got me a cast iron 12" Lodge pan for Christmas. I haven't cooked on cast iron for over 40 years. Now pretty much every day I use cast iron. Also got the bug to get some other pans and now have an 8" and 10" Lodge. Also got a Lodge lid for the 12" pan and use the two as a dutch oven - small but enough for the wife and I. Wife's worried because I just got 3 cast iron pans in the past month. What's the future going to bring?

Wife complains the house always smells like a restaurant now but she doesn't hesitate going back for seconds.

Got the America's Test Kitchen's cast iron cooking book and have already made about a third of their recipes. Wife didn't like my initial batches of corn bread, but after the third batch I had it down so good she complained when I sent our guest home with 1/2 of loaf lol

Anyone have any tips or recipes they use cast iron for?

Hawnjigs

KISS
I haven't used cast iron since our son ruined the season on our fry pan, and I switched to teflon non-stick. But with non-stick now considered a health hazard, would like to switch back but concerned that the heavy ruff bottom might damage a glass top stove?

Did you season with bacon grease?

eddieb

I haven't used cast iron since our son ruined the season on our fry pan, and I switched to teflon non-stick. But with non-stick now considered a health hazard, would like to switch back but concerned that the heavy ruff bottom might damage a glass top stove?

Did you season with bacon grease?
My glass top stove says not to use cast iron pans , they must be afraid of hitting the top when hot

hookup

Big debate on the glass stove question on the cast iron boards. If you take a sizzling hot pan from the oven and put it on a cold glass top - things could go bad fast. Other than that seems like glass and cast iron get along.

Mom use to season with lard - basically bacon grease. Problem is if you let the pan sit to long the lard will go rancid. There's a couple new products on the marketplace - bit pricey! compared to a tub of lard or crisco. Got a Crisbee six as a gift - nice stuff, but at $15 for 2 oz pricey. Comes in a deodorant like container - very trendy to the young'ns

Just reseason that pan Hawk and it'll be good to go. Instructions everywhere. I like grapeseed oil because it smoke point is very high

Did a flank steak last night. Got the pan searing hot then dropped the steak in for 7 min/side. Then rested for 10 min. Made a thick gravy out of the bits and pieces in the pan while the steak rested. Came out perfect

JigCraft

Administrator
Staff member
I love cast iron. I usually use avocado oil to season. High smoke point 570ish, I think...plus cheaper to get from sam's club than some others.

If we move, I think I'm addicted to a gas stove and it would become a requirement.

hookup

I love cast iron. I usually use avocado oil to season. High smoke point 570ish, I think...plus cheaper to get from sam's club than some others.

If we move, I think I'm addicted to a gas stove and it would become a requirement.
When we bought our house it had gas HVAC system but everything else was electric. First thing I did was pay a contractor to convert the entire house to gas.

Back