Camping on the river ...

hookup

It was wet. Rained almost the whole time.

Spent a couple days camping in WV floating about 15 miles of river in a kayak. Just picked up a used Jackson Coosa, and love the boat. Great on rivers & plenty of storage for the camping essestials. Fishing was great with many smallies above 15". Fish were fat & had their feedbags on.

They were hitting grubs on jigs, flukes, & spinnerbaits. Nothing on dragging jigs or plastic across the bottom. Seemed like the fish knew winter was comming & slammed everything swimming.

hookup

Jig Man said:
How is the yak for comfort?

The coosa comes with a lawn chair style seat in two positions, low & high. Both positions have a considerably higher COG than a normal yak, where you're butt's right around the water level.

I decided to change the seat for a Surf to Summit Expedition. Since the Coosa has a hump in the middle that the lawn chair style seat stradles, I needed to build a small platform for the after market seat to sit on.

Day 1 I paddled about 8.5 miles, fished hard, and was in the seat for 13 hours. My back loved it. For those that dont know, I was in a tragic accident back in 2008 that messed up my lower back. For a kayak seat to love my back for 13 hours is a big thing imho. BUT, my butt hated it. Although the seat is advertised to have 2" of foam, the foam's similar to granite. But then again, 13 hours is a long time.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a fun trip - glad you found the fish willing to bite.

13 hours sitting in ANY chair would hurt my a$$! Most time i've spent in my yak has been about 9 hours in a day and took a few breaks to get out and move. If i keep adjusting position in the yak......... and the fish are biting ........it is tolerable for quite awhile. :)

Back