Buzz Bomb

Bucho

These things are awesome! I bought some a couple of years ago out of curiosity but never used them because they look awkward. Stupid, I know. Then I had a friend over in the shop who noticed them and went like "wow, you got some of those?!" Next thing was "try them out? no way, gotta make molds first, they´re too valuable!" He once used them on a fishing trip at a rocky montain stream, on recommendation of his local guide. They killed large browns there. I had no idea they would work in only half a meter of Water.

I was sold... The first try behind the shop brought three brown trout takes. 2 missed and one keeper finally threw the hook when I still wondered how to land it up the steep rocks without a net... I then set a stopper above the jig to keep it from sllding up the leader and haven´t lost a fish since.

Its funny that the only method to catch open water trout and salmon here in europe is trolling. Since most anglers afford only small watercraft, they fish for cod instead. There`s neither mooching nor open water jigging as such. For a narrow sound like the kiel fjord with its (by baltic standards) deep water, winter herring and an estuary, these things are made for kayak fishing!

They do look much better made from tin though. :D I got somewhat addicted to fish at least an hour or so behind the shop and always get at least one 20"+ keeper cod. This one is from today. We do have similar inline tin lures here, mostly from Denmark. But since they are made for shallow beaches, they are so flat they only scratch the surface. Then there´re 2oz + cod jigs for party boat fishing, but nothing in between for use in 15-50`of water. Until now... I love these things! Just what I needed for my winter fishing!

20178478wq.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those are cool looking fish and would sure love to be able to get out every day.

Never heard of a buzz bomb before....... looked them up and they look like a diamond shaped sort of spoon with the line running all the way through? Looking them up showed people use them for all sorts of fish species and techniques..... casting, trolling, jigging, even ice fishing.

Are you just casting from shore and using a straight/slow retrieve? Are you making you own from a stock purchased mold or making your own mold also? Dressing the hooks? Trebles or single hooks?

Sorry, lots of questions. :) Something new to me. Would like to see one of yours in a pic up a little closer.

goodtimesfishing

Buzz bombs are VERY common, here in the pacific northwest. On odd numbered years when our rivers have pink salmon runs, stores can't keep the pink ones on the self. Although not just for salmon they work great on bottom fish too. The action they produce is outstanding, with hits coming on the drop. Many like to attach a hoochie(rubber squid)to the hook, I like to tie up a bunch of hooks into krystal flash flies...treble hooks are not allowed in our waters so tie up octopus style hooks in place of the treble hook. There is no denying they catch fish!

Bucho

AtticaFish said:
Are you just casting from shore and using a straight/slow retrieve? Are you making you own from a stock purchased mold or making your own mold also? Dressing the hooks? Trebles or single hooks?

Sorry, lots of questions. :) Something new to me. Would like to see one of yours in a pic up a little closer.

her you go. Note the stopper above the lure and the free-flapping hook with a bead as a bearing. A pair (plastic/rubber) is even better.

20178479rs.jpg

The beauty of them is that they catch mostly on the fall but also have a very nice action on a flat retrieve. You can work the entire water column. My friend used the 2" version in a stream with less than 2 feet of water. I mostly use the 2" from shore. Cast, make contact, lift, drop, lift, drop, and adapt to a flat retrieve when water gets too shallow. Trout seem to be attracted by the impact and take on the 2.-3rd lift. Cod just nail them on the fall as they come. They can be picky in daylight when they stuff themselves with tiny gobies like the one on the pic but the buzz bomb gets them good allright :icon14:

I keep loosing baits here in the back of a shipyard and have to re-supply via airmail, so I make molds first before I try a new version. Got the whole range now. I like tin best for its shine and light weight, only the tiny 1/4 oz model won´t pour well so I make that one from hard lead like the original and powder paint it. Great with light tackle! Casts about twice as far as a hair jig. I tried to reach the other side of the kiel canal (102,5m = 111yards) with the 1 oz model and failed by a rod length.

I go with matzuo sickle siwash singles. No need for trebles, both cod and trout will chase after and take again if they miss the first time. Rather that than a poor hookup. Too much dressing can impede the action of the smaller ones. Tin is barely heavy enough to create enough lure speed on the fall.

Back