butter worm tipped jigs

jiggerjohn

Does anyone have any fishing info on the "butter worm" as a jig tipping? I used them for the first time yesterday, and even on a tough,bright, still day the trout only seemed to want jigs I tipped with these longer, juicier,tougher "waxworms". I understand they are harvested in Chile ,are not available too long into the season, and are expensive ($4 per dozen). But I've heard trout guys rave about them, and discovered yesterday that bluegills and crappie are big fans also. I'm just wondering if anyone has used these for bass of others, while jigging?

crappiecripplerjigs

I have purchased these at Petsmart. They are larger than the waxworms as you said and a bit pricey. I really don't have a preference but use the waxworms more than the big fellas. The couple times I've used both in same day, results were not any better one way or another. Might be jig color as well makes a difference. I have caught small 8-12" bass with the butterworms, but nothing large. Seems all types of fish like jigs tipped with either. Waxworms are easier to get in my area.

LedHed

Sponsor
Haven't tried the butter worm but have used wax worms for tipping. Have better catches with small meal worms. We go through a lot of crickets also...

Back