Burbot/Eelpout/Freshwater cod

Jungleboy

I am planning to go Ice fishing this weekend and would like to target some Burbot/ eelpout etc , lots of names for this fish. I am wondering if anyone on here has fished them and if you have a suggested pattern for tying up some jigs that might work well?

Jungleboy

ARjigger said:
Well...I havent ever heard of that kind of crappie before???

hehe nope it's not a crappie. unfortunately we don't have Crappie up here . the Burbot is a butt ugly fish but it is a tasty morsel. Some call it poor mans Lobster.

ARjigger

Okay...my research says a burnot is the only freshwater cod-fish and he's found up north above 40 degrees N latitude. The thing is a piscivore and eats pretty big stuff pretty often. Having said all that I'd have a pretty decent sized bait on, 3-5" like a swim type or jig with a lot of tail.

I learned something today...

Jungleboy

ARjigger said:
Okay...my research says a burnot is the only freshwater cod-fish and he's found up north above 40 degrees N latitude. The thing is a piscivore and eats pretty big stuff pretty often. Having said all that I'd have a pretty decent sized bait on, 3-5" like a swim type or jig with a lot of tail.

I learned something today...

Interesting I guess minnow imitation such as perch might be in order

Pup

Catch enough of them and maybe you'll want to attend the...

International Eelpout Festival

...next year.

One of my wife's coworkers is from Walker, MN originally, which is how my wife and I found out about it. Guess it's a big event. Told my wife I'd be interested in attending. :D ;) Then, she looked over their web site. The next thing I got from her was a look... :dodgy:

Bucho

Over here they´re only caught groundbaiting at night. Mostly in rivers since we hardly ever have enough frost to enter the hard water. Up in Sweden they use baited "swedish" pimpels. Bait and low light seems to be key. I used to fish them in a small river with herring cutbait. They´re not too picky. The first two hours after sunset were best.

perch

Around here i mostly use my glow in the dark plastic baits i make and tip them with a small piece of cut bait at night works really well
GLOW In the dark baits work the best for sure at night ling/ burbot love em

perch

heres some ling / burbot I caught a couple weeks ago just before ice out They are getting BIG and FAT
heres a 35"er
IMG_1364_zps62e3489a.jpg
and some other big ones
IMG_1356_zps9470ac95.jpg
IMG_1339_zps055256b1.jpg
IMG_1342_zpse926d06f.jpg

like I was saying earlier they LOVE GLOW IN THE DARK Baits

Hawnjigs

KISS
Holy sh**! That must be the best ling lake in the country!

I tried to jig one up daytime last Sept. from the Bull Lake shoreline and Boysen outlet hoping to get lucky but you know how that went.

perch

im not sure but they are huge. It used to have a great population of smallmouth bass until they showed up but now they are all buy gone ling are eating them like candy its crazy. the trout are getting hit bad to. So we go catch as many as we can when ever we have a chance because everyone out of there is one less eating the few bass we have left and the trout.

perch

yup if you like eating them they are big and have some meat on them. I give all mine away to other anglers that like to eat them. I love to catch them but not a big fish eater. now at this lake they are a manidatory catch and kill on them.

Back