Building your own rod?

SlabHappy

I am thinking of making me a 10' crappie jigging rod. Been looking around on mudhole, st croix, and just on the web. I never made a rod before, and just curious what would be a good blank to use for a 8-10 ft crappie vertical jigging rod? What other things will I need and do you think I would end up with a better jigging pole than say a Pro Angler? I would be using a baitcast, Quatum Accurist reel on it and Bonehead 12lb braid line. I do not know if you would need special guides for braid line?

hookup

So much has been written about this, it'll make your head spin.

We each have our own likes and preferences.

I tend to go with St Croix blanks, Fuji guides, and TN Split grip handles I either make or barter with a buddy to make. I like cork, but now aday's there many synthetic products on the market for handles.

Mudhole's a good start. RodBuilding.Org is a good board.

Although any guide will work with braid, I tend to use an Alconite or better ring. I've never had any problem with cheaper rings, or even metal, but Alconite's my bottom line for braid.

Good luck and for your first rod, I'd keep it simple & cheap.

Kdog

I think you can make a better jigging pole than a Pro Angler but not for the money. Pro Angler rods are suprisingly economical plus you have the added advantage of easily replaceable tip sections.

I have made several rods and each is treasured. However, for the time and money spent I would have been better off buying a rod rather than making one. Last year I seriously toyed with making a walleye jigging rod after putting all the numbers together, it was very obvious that I would spend almost as much for blanks, seat, grips, guides and materials as I would buying a premade rod. I ended up watching Ebay for damaged rods returned etc and finally found an auction of st croix rods with broken tips, broken guides etc. I completely stripped a couple of the rods and have some nice rods for a minimal investment. I got 14 rods for 70 bucks. of the 14 10 were fairly simple repairs 2 were beyond repair and the remaining 2 same rod, 1 broken at grip, 1 broken between the the 2nd and 3rd guides threw away one butt section, 1 tip sections and viola a complete rod.

Unfortunately all rods were less than 7' and half were 1 piece rods. I sold all but one and got more than enough money to buy the rod I had dreamed of. Now if you want the satisfaction of making your own rod, go for it, but be aware you will not save any money. You may very well have a better rod than you can buy.

As far as guides and braid, I would get the best I could afford and I really like ceramic for the tip although for jigging it may not matter a whole lot. I have cut several SS guides with braid as well as some other composite metal materials that were touted as the latest and greatest and best....... Fuji Guides are a great product

Jig Man

Well krap wasn’t gonna do this, but I can’t help it. I was in the same boat last year that you are in now. I looked at a bunch of rods and handled several, but I could not find one that I wanted off the shelf. There are a bunch of good ones out there, but the ones that I liked were for spinning reels, but like you I wanted one for a level wind. Nothing against spinning reels, they are my go to reel for casting jigs. There are a lot more choices in the eight foot range, but I wanted a ten footer.
As far as building a rod, not sure how your set up, but I wouldn’t even consider building a long pole without the proper equipment. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it won’t be easy. If building rods is something you plan on doing as a hobby then its money well spent, but you can have a pretty good rod built for what you can purchase the equipment to build one.
As for me, even though I would love to, I’m not talented enough or have the room to build what I wanted. But I do have a couple of damn good friends. And one said he would help me out, and just like me he has a taste for the finer things in life. Do you need a St. Croix blank to catch fish? No, but you can sure feel stuff you would miss with a cheaper rod. Argue if you want, but it’s the truth, sorry. Mud Hole is a great place to start looking, Batson Enterprises is another. Give um a call and tell them what you have in mind and either will be glad to help you out. Not to take anything from your thread, I will start another and post some pichers of my pride and joy…. Wasn’t going to, but dang it can’t help it

Radtexan

Watch out Mel you might end up like Robert ;) He had to move the operation out to the farm house to keep up...

SlabHappy

Thanks guys for the input. I have a guy that can build one. I don't have any kind of setup for doing it, just figured it would be kind of fun to do. I think I will just let him know what I am looking for, and let him build it. I just know the satisfaction you get from catching a mess of crappie on your own jigs, I'm sure it would be even more rewarding to catch them on a rod you built.

hookup

Slab

I build my first rod using a cardboard box w/ triangles cut in opposite sides as a rod wrapper and a book as thread tensioner.

Then after applying flexcoat, turned the rod by hand in the card board box.

Still got it

SlabHappy

hookup said:
Slab

I build my first rod using a cardboard box w/ triangles cut in opposite sides as a rod wrapper and a book as thread tensioner.

Then after applying flexcoat, turned the rod by hand in the card board box.

Still got it

I think I might try it. Looked at some videos, and think I can do it, and do it good. Not looking for a masterpiece, just a really good, light, sensitive jigging pole. Looking at split casting reel seats, and maybe micro guides. First things, what would be a really good 9' blank? Should I go with a fly blank? Looking at the St Croix, SCIII, 9' 2 piece, What weight would I go with? 4wt, 5, or 6? Or are there other blanks to go with?

hookup

As far as weight, I'd go out & handle a couple rods off the shelf to help you make that determination.

All blanks will catch fish .. just depends on what you want. Does the blank have to be made in the US? Does the blank have to be high modulus (more money, more fragile, but so sensitive you can feel a fish phart). What's your budget for a rod? Only you can answer those questions.

But after building about 40 rods, I tell you that a high modulus blank with titaneum guides is the bomb - if you can afford the scratch. If not, anything you build & catch a fish will be a dream come true.

SlabHappy

Budget wise, let's just say I want THE BOMB! Looking to build the best one possible. Still in the research phase. I can't afford it, but hey, I can't afford a lot of things I have. Been looking at St Croix blanks. Thinking of the 9' ML fast action steelhead blank: St. Croix 5SC90MLF2-G. Hookup, what other tips can you give to build Tha Bomb?

SlabHappy

Well, picked out the blank and components for the rod I am going to build. Just have to get around and order it. Going to go ahead and get a dryer and thread tensioner. I figure once I build my first, there more than likely will be more to come. Going to go with a MHX 9' Light Steelhead blank. Was looking at their panfish rods, but noticed the steelhead was 33% lighter and about $50 more, so figured it would be higher modulus graphite and more sensitive with a better backbone. Might take me some time, but I will post some picks once I get it done. Should turn out pretty sweet. Going to be green and silver.

Kdog

Good Luck, and take your time establishing the spine of the rod.
Dont scrimp on the guides, 1.2 per foot works well

SlabHappy

Kdog said:
Good Luck, and take your time establishing the spine of the rod.
Dont scrimp on the guides, 1.2 per foot works well

Was going to go with 15 nanoguides (3-2mm for first 3 after reel, spiral wrapped. then 12 - 1mm) + titanium tip. Will have to figure out spacing, or if to go with less. Is 15 + tip too many for a 9' rod?

Kdog

Sounds like a good plan. I do not think 15 is too many just tricky figuring out the spacing. I know the tip section needs them closer together. I used to do lot of trial and error by having reel. line and tip installed then hang a 8 ounce weight from the tip and adjust guides using rubber bands for best fit.

SlabHappy

hookup said:
As far as weight, I'd go out & handle a couple rods off the shelf to help you make that determination.

Appreciate the suggestion, I went to Cabela's tonight and handled a lot of their rods. Changed up my plans for reel seat / handle set up. Should order my supplies near the end of the month and get started! Probably spent more time planning than it will take to build!

SlabHappy

Well, I finally pulled the plug and ordered my materials and tools to build my rod. Went with a 9' steelhead blank, ST1081-MHX. I was going to sign up for a Mudhole class in Houston, but the kit they give you is a 6'6" med kit, I have no use for this rod, I have several I don't use. I would rather use the $150 on one I will use, and just use Youtube videos. It's not rocket science!, but I would probably come out better, if it was. Also a deciding factor was that the class was April 26 &27. I don't want to give up one of the best fishing weekends, and I want the rod by then. I am going to "play" a little with the handle, trying to do some minor custom cork job. Would like to get the jigs they have, maybe later. Hope to post some pictures of what i end up with. Already planning a 6'6" UL spinning for barges. Wish me luck, and might be asking questions later.

Back