Bucktail Knots

SaltyBuckster

I wanted to see something interesting today.Let's have a pic show of how you tie your bucktails on.If not anything else,it might show someone that wants a little more action out of thier bucktail and to also help it from getting hung up so much.I use a loop knot,keeping it small.Here it is.Don't be shy for some critisisum.I want some.

Attachments

• DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 137

SaltyBuckster

Does'nt anybody around here tie a knot anymore?lol.I hate snap swivels.When you tie a loop for your bucktails and have to change color or pattern,it gives you a chance to check out your line for frays and such.That's an unproven jig about to get proven next Tuesday.Thanks.

SaltyBuckster

It is like the easiest in the world to tie.
1. Overhand knot to the size you want your loop
2. Leave about 4 inches tag
3. Put the tag end thru the eye of the hook
4. Pull to the loop that you made in the line to the hook eye
5. Hold the jig and the little loop in your finger tips
6. Wrap the tag end around the line above the loop 4 times
7. Put the tag end thru the little loop that you tied first
8. Cinch it up and you will have a small loop.Cut off the tag

Sounds hard,I guess,but takes like 3 seconds to do.A lot better action on your bucktail and they don't get hung up as much.

Lost Pole

I tie a cinch and just take the time to reposition it if it's needed.
I'm vertical most of the time and have a twisted theory on loop knots.
I may not be right bit I'm comfortable with it.

SaltyBuckster

I used to use a cinch knot for the last 40 years.It was the only knot that I tied.Then when I went to the loop knot and kept it small,a lot more fish were boated and a lot more bucktails were in my tackle box instead of caught in the lake.

StumpHunter

I use a loop knot on all my jigs. I can change out a jig quickly if I want to change colors.

Attachments

• SANY0222.JPG
    SANY0222.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 64
  • SANY0224.JPG
    SANY0224.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 65

Fatman

For knots I use the clinch knot or palomar. Most of the time lately as the eyes keep getting worse a duo-lock snap. If you want em dark string a bunch on a cord and dunk them in gun blueing, WEAR GLOVES LOLZ

redman

Salty you are on the right track with a loop knot. There are a number of them . I developed one in the late 1970's when Berkley Trilene came out and we were fooling around with knots with Steve Volts from Berkley. It was a loop knot that was jammed tight. Berkley had decided on the Trilene Knot and my knot vanished in to the darkness of time. But have used it for 30 plus years and it has served me well.

Remember that with a loop knot whether you are jigging vertical or tossing one it will allow you to work it with a more natural look and feel . Jigs have to be twitched and darted when you are tossing them. A loop knot will give you a extra edge in doing that. When you are vertical fishing a jig with a loop knot it will allow you to quiver a jig with more ease with just a slight shake of the wrist. That is right a bait fish will quiver when in the presents of a predator that is about to attack.

Redman

redman

Salty It starts off as a surgeons knot the first part then you pass the lose end of the line thur the doubled line loop. Pull the line to the reel tight and you should have one loop. past the lose end thur the one loop and pull tight jamming the knot and you should have a nice neat loop. As with all mono line I would suggest wetting it to reduce friction and weakening the knot.

You will have to practice a bit as you can make this knot BIG and it will get caught in the hook if one is not careful. It is a strong knot and will take a lot of abuse. I once landed a 24 lb. muskie on 8 lb. test line while fishing walleyes. I was using this knot at the time. But that's another story for another time. That was a lot of crazy dumb luck on that fish.

Redman

Back