Bucket list hybrid stripers

JUNGLEJIM1

I had never caught a hybrid striper before and since they stocked them in a couple lakes close by I added them to my bucket list. Rivers have been high from recent heavy rains so thought I'd try a tributary of the Meramec River about 20 minutes from my house for bass and maybe a walleye. I had no idea they were in this river, must have come up from the Mississippi River. Lost a couple big fish that I never got a look at before finally catching my first hybrid. It was 23.5" and weighed 5.75lbs. on a 1/8 oz. bucktail jig. Over the next four days I caught a total of 12 hybrids and 1 small striper along with a bunch of bass, including a few smallmouth/ kentucky hybrids. Largest fish caught was 26" and weighed almost 7.5 lbs. Only 3 were caught on my bucktails and the rest were caught on a top water called a whopper plopper working it as fast as I could against the current. Fished yesterday and only caught a few kentuckies, river is dropping fast and think they moved back into the river. A few pictures coming up. Darn, says files are too big and won't let me download pics. Never had that happen before and don't know how to change size. Maybe I can send them to someone who can change size and put them up for me.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you had a fun few days. We have plenty of white bass in Erie, but never caught a striper or hybrid.

Send the pics to me and i can edit and post them for you. [email protected]

Hawnjigs

KISS
Congrats, JJ1 ! Sounds like you went straight to the chunkies without messing with the schoolies. Hardest fighting fresh water fish for its size IMO, and the reason I moved to Nebraska. Hard to second guess em - here today gone tomorrow. When you say "lost" did they break off?

JUNGLEJIM1

I will send some to you Af. Early on I lost fish due to hooks pulling out. Only had one super strong fish break 12 lb.test mono. It hit ten foot off the rod tip and took off downstream and never stopped. There is no quit in these fish. I had to keep one that fought so hard I couldn't revive it. I hope we get a lot more rain to bring the rivers back up so I can get another crack at them. Need to get after the crappie until then. Going to send them now.

JUNGLEJIM1

Thanks Russ, did you notice I had my lucky hat on. This spot the water dropped a foot a day and the log in the back ground is dry. Come on rain, I want another crack at these. I'm hooked on them now, unbelievable fighters.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Don't have to wait, you can go look for em. Looking at a map, lots of moving water in your area.

Good eating too, I just enjoyed some last week clearing out my freezer.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I study Google satellite views for locations here, out your way how about the Grand Glaize drop into the Meramac?

Do yah fish Illinois?
" Rend Lake has a good population of hybrid stripers which average 2 1/2 pounds in weight. Look for these fish on deep water points, dam area, and the dam tail waters during the spring."

Clear across the state, but this guy is sure having fun.
[video=youtube]

JUNGLEJIM1

I haven't fished Illinois since they closed the road to my favorite crappie hole rather than fix it. Only way back is a 3.5 mile walk one way or maybe a bike. Going to check the Grand Glaize but it actually might have been where I was fishing. I know it as Simpson Park that has a feeder above the lake and I was fishing the spillway below the lake that runs into the Meramec.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Due to the scarcity of moving water creek dumps into rivers, kinda figgered the GG Simpson Park was your spot. There appear to be a gazillion rock jetties into the rivers, are they fishable? How about the big river locks?

If you're ever up North, I got a few smaller wipers with the biggest 3# in the outflow creek from Long Branch Reservoir.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...5bc4590466bd72!8m2!3d37.9642529!4d-91.8318334

JUNGLEJIM1

That's the spot. There are some tributaries to the Missouri River that holds some as well as the MISSISSIPPI River itself. Trying to pin point a few other spots to try for when water gets back to normal levels. They pull so hard, it;s all I think about now.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hey JJ1, you getting any? If so, where did you find em and what are they biting?

Out my way, seems I'm always late for the inlet/outlet moving water bite and only get the tail end day or two of a run. These schoolies run small, best is around 18" = 3# still fully capable of snapping 8# Power Pro if careless on the fight.

Back