Brush tap technique

darkman

Is there a tutorial on how to brush Tap?
I'm a visual learner, I've tried it with sucky results. Either I'm using the wron kind of brush
Or I just don't have a talent for it. Either way I could use some help. Thanks

hookup

I remember seeing one years ago on one of the tackle boards ...

Here's one I found w/ a quick Google search

I use a bunson burner instead of a heat gun, but same technique

There's more on the right side of the page

[video=youtube]

darkman

Thank you but I'm unable to open the video, could you tell me the name so I can look it up myself

darkman

Never mind, found some, finally man, I'm going to give it a go
I just suck is what I learned so I need to practice so I do suck so badly
Thank you

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Tapping on powder paint does take a little practice to get it looking good.  I don't know that the brush matters as much as just generally how hard you tap.  As long as the brush hold some powder, you should be good.  As i mentioned about the force you use to tap, a trick i have learned is that the first tap or 2 should be harder and just tapped back over top of the paint jar.  A whole lot of powder will come off the brush on those first taps and can really thicken it up and change colors quick.  After you get the excess off, you should get a lighter powder coming off the brush.  This is definitely helpful if you are trying to get a smooth color change or if you just want a light coat.

Also for colors...... i always try to work light to dark.  That is just a general art logic though, don't always have to follow the rules, but it can make life easier in some situations.

Glad to see you post!

duffy

I'm by far not a pro at it either but will say that the distance you tap from the lure makes a difference too. Closer gives you a fuller color while farther away gives a more speckled look. I practiced on strips of aluminum or any metal you can heat. It does take some practice.

Back