Broken Thread

duffy

Just wondering what techniques are used when you break a thread off in the middle or end of a tie? Don't know if I got a weak section of thread or am just being Ham fisted today but have broken off 3 times on two jigs. I just un-wound some on the jig and re-wrapped over and under the broken thread and added some glue. Didn't know if anyone had a better way. Thanks in advance.

AllenOK

Check your bobbin to see if it's picked up a burr on the tube. Also, double check the spool of thread itself. I've had a couple that had thread breaks in the spool. Those are always a nightmare.

When I break thread, I'll try and use a pair of hackle pliars and clip onto the loose thread, to keep tension. Then I quickly re-load my bobbin, tie back in, and tie over the tag end to hold it.

Jay Wirth

It depends when the break happens, if it's early in the wrap I start over. If near the end where you have a good base just start wrapping over the area. I find that breaks are a problem with the spool more than the bobbin itself. I usually strip off some of the thread from the spool before starting again. You can add head cement to the first wraps before adding the new thread though this is not necessary if your technique is good. I don't recommend glue (I assume we are talking Krazy glue) as this makes the thread brittle. Old timers (Rube Cross comes to mind) would use Ducco Cement which you can thin if desired if you want to add glue.

gaspumper

I put a dab of head cement on then continue wrapping over broken thread ,when done I add a dab or two of head cement,never had one come undone.

duffy

Thanks fella's!  I'm sort of suspecting maybe a bad section on the spool as it happened toward the end of one tie and in the beginning and middle of the next one. Thread was 210 UTC with a fairly new ceramic bobbin. To continue tying I just unraveled about 6" on the jig, wrapped new over the top pulling the thread to the left and then back to the right with a few wraps, trimmed the tag, put a drop of Sally's on and kept on going. The second time I may have nicked the hook point but the but the first and last it seemed to just break too easy if that makes any sense.

Back