Breaking the Routine

Hawnjigs

KISS
Sometimes equals extraordinary results, like when I decided to try night jigging from previous daylight preference. Catches morphed from mediocre dink infested sizes to master angler trophies, all released of course, and now during the warm season mostly fish in the dark. Side benefit of avoiding the heat and sunburn of the day, but need to deploy bug spray to repel blood suckers which emerge at night.

Yesterday, best option waking up too late for the usual pre-dawn road trip decided to scout hometown Lake McConaughy for suitable rocky terrain to host the upcoming alewife spawn with attendant predators. May as well try to entice a few smallies while trekking, so did my usual parallel to rocky shoreline search casting with no bites at all. End of the trek was the tip of a rocky point with a deep drop off on a side, so decided to try long casting out and dropping into the depths which tekneek I had never explored beyond a few casts here n there with no success worth more comprehensive exploration. Surprisingly I was on a sweet spot, dropping 30 seconds & slow twitching back a suitable for catfish mentioned in previous posts half a Gulp chartreuse Sinking Minnow pinned on a light 3/32 Midwest Finesse head with 1/0 Gami 604 heavy wire hook. Stuck 6 nice smallies, tho only landed 2 as maybe these bigger fish had harder lip structure difficult to penetrate & dropped off during the fights.

Waiting out several days of T-storms and will return upweighting to 3/16 2/0 adjusting to deeper water and bigger fish. Point being that trying something or someplace new can be a ticket, never know unless you try.

Arne

You get any of the runnoff from the big storms last nite? Know they caught it bad south of you but haven't heard if the big rains made it that far north. Arne.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Lake Mac east end south shore was clear water including the ravine runoff coves this AM. Dunno about the canal dumps, might road trip east to check em out tomorrow weather permitting. Yesterday's smallie rocky point sweet spot was MT today.

Storm path from the south hit North Platte, missed Ogallala last nite.

Arne

Sounds like here. Everything goes west like by Holdredge or east of Hastings. Still really dry here. Arne.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Fall thru Spring got into the small and light groove - 1/16 #6 ties and 1/14 #2 pinned 2"plastics for mostly smaller fish in running water. Today tho a guy throwing poppers at the same spot was getting big wipers while I was getting mostly nothing speshul white bass. He was on the best (only) wiper hold as I got no hits switching to 1/4 1/0 upsize plastics on the opposite canal shoreline.. However, the white bass had no trouble hitting and sticking what I thought was an ineffectively oversize jig for them and I ended up with 35 + decent for the spot 17 & 21" wallys. After the guy left the hold was played out but with a lot of flailing and luck managed a decent smaller 6# wiper. Noteworthy here is the wiper likely was more receptive to the larger heavier longer casting jig than my previous go-to and the smaller white bass had no problem inhaling the 1/0 wide gap hook jig. Also that remainder wiper struck in what appeared to be excessively fast current which I usually avoid as being unlikely to hold fish.

Another example of breaking the routine adjusting to current conditions.

hookup

Stuck 6 nice smallies, tho only landed 2 as maybe these bigger fish had harder lip structure difficult to penetrate & dropped off during the fights.

Correct. And add to the fact that smallies are excellent at spitting a hook. I lost two pigs today. One legit the other a rookie mistake.

Back