Bold new flavor / familiar old trailer

jiggerjohn

Flooding back to me came fond memories of nice sized pike limits (plus bonus bass and huge crappies) from the mighty St. Lawrence river. These hefty stringers were acquired throughout month-long vacations to New York's famous Thousand Islands area during August, where locals always informed us that pike absolutely couldn't be taken ("lose their teeth during summer, ya know!"). Returning to the present from this daydream, I found myself once again nabbing one hard striking fish after another on practically the exact same jig fishing combo as during those old times, albeit a very serious updated version. My lure was a sparsely tied satin fiber woolie jig (of course!), sporting a most unique curly tailed, rind-strip trailer.

"Bob's Your Uncle" twist style strips, produced by the renowned Fishbites company of saltwarer scent bait fame, are actually NOT pork, but a very specialized molded material of well researched, highly concentrated chemical stimulants. Much more uniform in shape, thickness, and action than archaic, sloppy, cut pigskins, these brand new rugged rinds vigorously squirm and thrash about  with the slightest forward movement of one's jig. In fishing I've easily pulled these active tails near the top, or allow even a lightweight jig to take them down deep. They twirl during the jig's drop and even flap around while being held still or drifting in current. And fish really hang on to these tasty critters once they latch on!

Early snow is rapidly closing my opportunities, but I'm planning on using renewed jig 'n rind enthusiasm to tempt a few more late fall lunkers ! If there's interest, I'd enjoy sharing "Bob's tales" for further jigging discussions !

jiggerjohn

Hawnjigs said:
So what if Uncle Bob caught 100s of saltly chunks - yah did the same 2 years ago with Gulp.
Hi Hawn, These new twisty rinds function much more like the time proven old pork ripple strips ,yet provide even better action, vibrant color, and water pushing vibration . This new Fishbites material ,however, does not require carrying bulky jars of corrosive liquid, nor has quick drying out problems (I keep my used Bob's rinds in dry zip-locks). And unlike the current"'smell products", Uncle Bob has very little odor (to humans ) ,and doesn't have any obnoxious juice to leak over and destroy your gear (heck, even my wife allows me to keep packages of Fishbites in our living room !)

Back