Bobbin ?

BucktailJiger

Being new to this , please bear with me , I'll try to keep the questions to a minimal . I see different bobbin styles some ceramic tip and some not . What is the reasoning behind this ? Took a bit for the light bulb to come on for the bobbin threader , got that one figured out . Still trying to figure out the rotary whip and a few other tools . Been looking at the tutorial's , wow I got a lot to learn !!! Thanks

Shoemoo

Non-ceramic bobbins will eventually wear to the point where they cut the thread. They also have more issues with burrs that fray thread. You don't have to get an expensive ceramic bobbin. I use one I got from Grandpa Bob's that has a ceramic bead in the tip. I think it cost about three bucks.

Shoemoo

It doesn't work for the bead tip style bobbins. The opening is too narrow to generate the necessary suction.

On the other hand, you can make your own fairly easily using a loop of monofilament and some electrical tape.

LedHed

Sponsor
Cj - if there is fly shop in your area check them out. Try to get some "hands on" with the tying tools. A good flytying class would be a great help also.

toadfrog

Stick you tongue over the hole create the suction before you inhale . Then move your tongue . gives it that added zip . If have to much thread hanging you might just get a tickle in the back of your throat . I hate it when that happens.

blt

If your area is in the garage like mine, watch out for those little critters that like to climb into small areas lol. I found a little spider in mine one time when I ran the thread through by hand. (Easier with the larger saltwater thread)

Back