Blade painting tips and curing pegs

Fatman

I've been asked how I cure the blades I paint after I do them.

first painting blades is pretty easy if you've done any brush tapping, heat the blade and tap the powder onto the blade, They'll look rough until they cure and smooth out.

I've posted my curing trays that I make from aluminum pans before. Here's the wire pegs I form for the blades to hang on
100_5247.jpg
[/img]

Here's how they hang on my curing trays
100_5253.jpg

And a side view, the newspaper is inside the tray because you can't see anything when the flash goes off.
100_5254.jpg

redman

Doug that is good stuff. Question have you ever done any hammered blades??? If you did how did they turn out?

Redman

Fatman

I have some hammered blades but I haven't painted any of them yet. Mainly I'm worried about too much paint in the hammered holes!!! But i really need to try some!!!

redman

I am with you there and thought the same thing. To heavy a coat of powder and you would loose the hammered effect. I am a little bit apprehensive about doing them. Here lately I have just added a red dot of paint to the out side of the blade about a third of the way down Will say that the Texas Crappie seem to like that effect.

Redman

Fatman

Have some beat up brass hammered somewhere and I have minnow style blades that are hammered I can play with a few of those, but it's gonna have to be a really lite tap!! LOL Actually I might be able to take a womans knee high cut it open and stretch it in a wire frame and tap powder that way onto it. Lot's of nutty idea's but work took a really bad turn today!!!

Muskygary

Fatman said:
Have some beat up brass hammered somewhere and I have minnow style blades that are hammered I can play with a few of those, but it's gonna have to be a really lite tap!! LOL Actually I might be able to take a womans knee high cut it open and stretch it in a wire frame and tap powder that way onto it. Lot's of nutty idea's but work took a really bad turn today!!!

How about using clear gloss with glitter in it on the hammered blades? Should let the hammered be visible and should really glitter.

JUNGLEJIM1

I've painted hammered blades and see the bumps fine,not quite as pronounced as they were before painting but still very visible.

plateboater

Been waiting for this post FM......looks like rain this weekend. Very large amount of inch's rain fell on IL over last two days. IL River on Tuesday could hit 100 yr flood mark. All kinds of reason to stay home this weekend and paint some blades!

Thanks FM

Fatman

No problem - Yesterday was halfway decent but the front comes through this afternoon again and nothing but rain all weekend!! plus they're calling for 40+ MPH winds so I'm home. I'm batching it for the next 9 days so Saturday is painting day!!!!!!! and wire and I may pour some more jigs too.

The rivers are really high from the mountain snowmelt and the rain on top of it, we don't need any more flooding here!!!!!!!!!! The last week theirs been a LOT!!!!!!! of brush fires, even with all the snow melt and the rain the winds are drying everything out.

Fatman

Tryed regular and hammered blades and while some came out really good you had to have a really light touch to have the hammered look come through with the glitter coat and two toned.

Ones on the left are Indianna and the ones to the right are minnow blades. The bottom center blade was the first one I did and got the powder too heavy!!! The rest came out pretty good.
100_5335.jpg

Back