Big streamers - LMB

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Have been wanting to get out and throw the fly rod for some :bigfish: at some of my local small reservoirs. But about the only flies i have that are geared for truly big fish are top water spun hair flies and some zonker patterns - so i fixed that!

These clousers are all bigger that anything in my fly box - all on #4 Mustads or EC's except for the 2 at the right of each pic that are #6 Mustads. One set i made with natural combos and one with brighter colors. The 1st one pictured is around 4.5" long so my make-shift fly boxes ( altoids tins :D ) won't do. Going to have to make up a VHS fly box like i have for some of my larger jigs. These all have lead eyes but i did make a few with bead chain as well - forgot to take pics of them.

101_3064_e.jpg

101_3055_e.jpg

I also made up a few Arkansas Bucktails (sorta) in larger sizes as well. These are all on #4 Mustad hooks and run around 4". I like adding in a zonker strip in the tail instead of the traditional B.Tail. These make killer shad mimics! Even tried one in a fire tiger pattern, but wasn't all that impressed with my end result. :rolleyes: Last pick is one that i got wet to show a better profile of it.....

101_3061_e.jpg

101_3062_e.jpg

101_3058_e.jpg

Wet version of the one above...
101_3067_e.jpg

Last one is just somethin i threw together for the river with smallies in mind on a #6 hook.
101_3042_e.jpg

quivira kid

Those Arkansas bucktails look killer! Good work.

Have you looked at something like a Slumpbuster or Meat Whistle yet? A Slumpbuster on a size 4 or so with rabbit instead of pine squirrel would make a killer largemouth fly, I bet!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the comments all - still haven't had a chance to get out and test these hard yet - t-ball is over now so should get some more free time.

Here is the link to where i learned the pattern - Fly Fish Ohio - it is way down near the bottom of the page. Some of the FFO site links are not working so if you want to see the video, you have to click the Quicktime video link from the page i linked to. The ark. bucktail page has the receipe and some instructions but those links won't work for me.

jjsjigs said:
Do you have a good recipe for the Ark. Bucktail? I'd like to tie a few of those up.

Of course i have to tinker with every pattern! :D Most of mine i use a zonker strip all the way at the back of the fly and sub either barbell eyes or beadchain for the glue on eyes. The zonker really gives it some extra kick! ;) Most important thing with them, DO NOT use much b.tail in each clump you tie in, keep each clump VERY thin. If you use too much, it bulks up quickly around the shank when you bend it over and back and the head tie off can be a real pain. Interested to see how yours turn out if you give them a shot.

JUNGLEJIM1

Everything we do as a tyer should be a work in progress.I'm never totally happy with any of mine,improvements can always be made. The best thing to do is get them wet and see what the fish think. The bad one's for me catch the bigger fish because I tend to throw them in places I wouldn't a nicer tie because I don't care if I lose it. That's where the nicer fish tend to hide.

JUNGLEJIM1

Everything we do as a tyer should be a work in progress.I'm never totally happy with any of mine,improvements can always be made. The best thing to do is get them wet and see what the fish think. The bad one's for me catch the bigger fish because I tend to throw them in places I wouldn't a nicer tie because I don't care if I lose it. That's where the nicer fish tend to hide.

Jig Man

JUNGLEJIM1 said:

True words right there........

Back