Big Fish Story and Electronics

papaperch

Right up front big fish of trip was not mine or my sons. But a poor old guy that a muskie had worn to a frazzle . As we were launching my boat at start of vacation trip. I did a last second glance from boat as my son was backing the boat in. Heard the old guy yelling for help. Ran over to him and noticed bent over fishing pole and a muskie over 40 inches attached to it. Oddest thing the muskie had taken a 3/8 oz jig with a huge leech. The old fella was drifting for walleye . How he ended up so close to shore ( his raised 20 hp Yamaha' s prop was banging on a stone wall ) I don't know. All he wanted us to do was net fish , take pix and then release the musky. We did all in short order. Whilst this was going on the guys wife shows up in car at the launch. She was immensely relieved as she said she had no idea what to do. Evidently he did have the where with all to use his cell phone. I would have loved to hear that conversation.

Evidently they were there on vacation too. From what I was able to piece together. Musky and old guy wore each other out mentally and physically. Son really had to work to get musky revived enough to swim off after release. We waited until old guy recovered mentally and we turned his boat around so he didn't ruin his prop. Neither he nor I wanted to waste time measuring fish as both of us were concerned for the fish's survival.

First few days on vacation we had limited success. Heat and wind were burning us out. Finally decided to try night fishing. We found fish in state constructed fish attractors at 16 foot of water. As soon as night hit full force game on. Crappie were about 6- 13 in range with the vast majority being around 10 inch. Got some jumbo perch at night which is odd on plastics which is even odder. The single most effective presentation was my home made old fashioned spreaders. A single hook set up with live minnow would get bit also but it took way longer. Almost any jig plastic or hand tie worked.

Made a real short video of the Garmin GPSMAP 1040 using the panoptix transducers. Those large dark redddish blobs are the fish moving in and out of the transducers huge cone. Minnows and bait fish will appear as lighter blobs. If any of you are interested in the panoptix just google it . Believe they even have video of guy catching two bass on lure at same time. pretty fascinating technology. Just click on pix to play sorry so short time was in short supply. Crappie were mostly at 10-12 foot.

Back