Big Fish From Shore At Night On Jigs

Hawnjigs

KISS
During the first 5 years since moving to Nebraska noteworthy catches were few, far between, and right place right time sheer luck. The past 3 years tho thru leaps of faith R & D implementation catches have been extraordinary relative to the limitations of the available resource. Rather than continue to intrude on other poster's topics piecemeal, notably Spoonminnow, I'll attempt to share the system here on its own.
1. Follow the food - baitfish like alewives and shad which spawn at shoreline edges
2. Predators appear to be most actively feeding on them at night
3. Walleye appear to prefer rocky shoreline & bottom habitat, + wipers, white bass, & catfish
4. Shallow edges adjacent to deeper drop offs seem ideal.
5. Explore! Walk shoreline daytime to locate areas conducive to the above, then return at night.
6. Find your own spots unaffected by crowds & harvest.
7. Don't shine lights in the water, presentations should be in darkness.

As for lures, most anything will get bit, for me 3" boot and straight tail plastics on light as possible jig heads are a ticket, tho larger and heavier would likely get bit as well or who knows maybe even better. Since my target fish are in sometimes very shallow water adjacent to shoreline long casts are unnecessary and retrieves need to avoid snagging bottom. With an abundance of natural forage present my presentations attempt to look different emulating slower moving injured baitfish.

Results speak for themselves, so far this month since the alewife spawn commenced on June 3 have C&R 64 walleye many Master Angler class 8#+. Plus bycatch of wipers some MA 8#+ & white bass average 1-1/2#. Bit early for warmer water preference catfish which will soon be (hopefully) abundant up to 20#+.

Not sure if the system would work for other areas other species, but one seed planting inspiration was the late big trout master Merton Leeper in Colorado who authored several books emphasizing night fishing . Another major inspiration was the former editor of In-Fisherman Doug Stange who wrote articles on walleye jigging wading at night.

Would like to mention that rocky shoreline was an adaptation pursuant to my area of opportunity, the above mentioned did not exclude other shoreline types.

Last edited:

hookup

1. Follow the food - baitfish like alewives and shad which spawn at shoreline edges
2. Predators appear to be most actively feeding on them at night
3. Walleye appear to prefer rocky shoreline & bottom habitat, + wipers, white bass, & catfish
4. Shallow edges adjacent to deeper drop offs seem ideal.
5. Explore! Walk shoreline daytime to locate areas conducive to the above, then return at night.
6. Find your own spots unaffected by crowds & harvest.
7. Don't shine lights in the water, presentations should be in darkness.

Great tips. Especially #6. One reason why I'm so secretive about my fishing spots

Hawnjigs

KISS
June tally:
84 total wallys, 59 master angler 8#+
13 master angler wipers 8#+
20 cats biggest 20#
lots of chunk white bass

Hawnjigs

KISS
JJ1, walking rocky shoreline at night was a huge leap of faith here, find you a walleye lake with abundant alewives or shad hugging shoreline and you too can be pleasantly surprised at the results. This method will also produce wipers as big as the lake can support, last night zero wallys which may have predictably migrated out to deep water preferring cooler temps than the warming shoreline. Luckily, unusually abundant wipers were around - 3, 8, 10, and 12#x2 with two noticeably bigger hook dropouts mid battle.

Due to the presence of big wipers 15# line is a practical minimum, bait dunkers I chatted prefer 20# and big wipers still break them off.

How's your wiper action this year ?. Find you any more spots?

JUNGLEJIM1

Big zero on the hybrids this year. Way behind in rain here this year. Normally the hybrids come up from the Mississippi River into the river I fish after heavy rains but we are in a bit of a drought this year and didn't get the rain.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Alewives bout done spawning and predators are few & far between. So guess I'll wrap up this topic with a few more rcomments.

A large enuf net with a long enuf handle to serve as a walking stick on stumble rocks is a must. Ditto a skeet repellent as the time of year night time is the bite time.

Chatted with boater Mike yesterday who is as hard core as myself getting on the water every night starting at midnight weather allowing. He agreed that this year has been epic for wallys and his best session was 18 all at least 6#. Altho his specialty is trolling cranks relevant because he has been successful with black and recommended I try black jigs at night. Since the Mac season might be done or close to it may have to try that at other spots.

Found out this AM that other shoreline types than rock may also hold worthwhile predators since alewives spawn there too. With my usual rocky shoreline spot non productive wandered over to a sandy cove for a few better n nuthin small catfish. Surprisingly also got an 8# wally and may have to rethink focusing only on rocky areas.

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
Very few alewives present & of course fewer predators, but bite ain't done yet with 5 MAs last night including maybe best wiper and wally of the season.. Few more tips to add:
1. Parallel to shore retrieves seem to get bit better than long cast straight out.
2. Stand positions need to be selected to facilitate the mentioned shoreline parallel casts & retrieves and also positioned to net & land fish.
3. 1" rubber furniture leg tip caps snugly fit aluminum tube net handles for better rock traction.
4. Lacking waders, quicker drying nylon pants over boots help keep feet dry deflecting onshore wind blown wave wash.

Further other than rocky shoreline diversions were not productive.

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, 2023 big fish at night bite is done, wallys & wipers on July 22 and catfish on July 31.
As expected wally bite decreased, wiper bite increased temporarily, catfish bite took over after wallys-wipers ended.
July tally:
46 wallys total 28 master angler 8#+
27 master angler wipers 8#+
109 cats up to 25#
Almost all wallys-wipers on 3" plastics, almost all cats on Gulp troos Sinking Minnow 1/2 stubs

Aug 1 session was a skunk. Except for 2 smaller wallys kept to eat all others C&R.

Hawnjigs

KISS
With no better options despite several big lake skunks decided to keep trying hoping for a lucky stray. Last night not a single alewife swirl in sight flailing a long stretch of rocky shoreline with predictably no predator bites employing previously successful shallow shoreline parallel search casting. With zero action decided to call it quits and head back to my vehicle. Nuthin to lose so decided on the way back to try a heretofore unproductive tekneek of long casting straight out and letting jig sink to the bottom for a slow deep retrieve. If the baitfish ain't visible on the surface nearshore they gotta be further out or deeper or both right? Pleasantly surprised by a solid thunk and the fight feel of a decent cat which turned out to be a well appreciated 15#. Few casts later another strike and hookup which felt much less hefty came in rather quickly and shining a light into the water for netting saw the telltale glowing eyes of a wally. Woohoo! been 2 weeks since the last wally scooted from nearshore this one a nice 10#. Unfortunately the wind picked up from an adverse direction wave washing over my stands & impeding casting so that was it for the session.

Hopefully this deep jigging experience wasn't a fluke and maybe the shoreline bite ain't ended, just yet.

Arne

Guess maybe it isn't a run as such. Usually the fishing gets pretty darn good off the shore as fall progresses. I am thinking mostly whites and crappie. I know at Harlan the cats move into shore later as winter starts coming in. Friend of mine is catfish crazy, he finds them rite til ice in and then as ice is melting off starts catching again. He is all bait fishing, not casting. This time of year he is on his pontoon drifting during the day and catching bunches of cats. I have tried it at Glen elder but it doesn't work as good there. It works, just not as good. Elwood is great for it and if you had a boat I am sure big mac, Southerland, Maloney would all bee good. All it takes is a couple rods, rod holders (a convinient option but not necessary) and a little time. Start drifting in 12 ft of water or so, if catching there, drift again, if not find a little deeper til you find them. Not rocket science but a great way to spend a summer day when nothing else wants to cooperate.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Sounds like a boat is needed for 3 season access to fish movements, lucky I discovered compensating for lack of same by fishing from shore at night. Not very often and haven't figgered why but there are times in smaller waters lacking an alewife spawn when the nite bite for wallys & wipers can be better than the usual mediocre in my area. Likely due to the presence or not of smaller baitfish not easily visually detected since predators certainly follow their movements. Maybe the Harlan cats (and baitfish?) move in to shallow water pre-Winter to warm up in the sun?

Catfish are reliably cooperative most anywhere that has them in #s, cept they only bite my jigs in warmer water. But yah with the right bait one can even catch cats thru the ice.

Arne

Yep. We had one farm pond, blue gill, blue gill, bluegill and by ice fly, big cat taking the waxworm. Not once but several times, landed a few tho. Was great fun. Mostly stay off the hard water anymore. Takes too long to heal when you mess up. LOL, Arne.

hookup

I draw the line at fishing when the water gets hard. In the mid Atlantic rivers, only once is 10 years does the river freeze enough. And don't know enough about the lakes to fish them through the ice.

Cats will hit anything that has scent.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hey Mr. Hookup, got a 30# cat on a post snag REBENT 604 recently. The rebend did not budge a micrometer during 3 productive sessions only retired cuz I'm leaving on a trip.

RockGeo

Hawn, I'm very impressed with your night fishing success! Your walleye tally is amazing! How many skinned knees and turned ankles have you gotten walking the rocky shorelines at night? I'm afraid I would be at the emergency room getting my knees stitched up if I tried to walk over rough terrain at night, even with a good headlight.

Hawnjigs

KISS
So far only 1 trip to the ER graveyard shift, a few annoying finger sprains catching falls and ankle to knees bleeder bumps. Would be worse without the recommended long handle net serving as a walking stick. Gotta pay to play.

The aluminum tube net handles won't handle much stress, I recently bent one in half catching a fall and I'm a small person 150#.

Those unsure about their rock crawling ability should not venture out alone. Ankle supportive boots, knee pads, & a protective helmet may help minimize the possibility of injury.

Last edited:
Back