Best weedless style head for a tied craw imitation?

Shoemoo

I recently fished a new spot on my favorite reservoir and had a huge smallmouth follow the jig in. The water clarity was exceptional, and I could see the fish a good 8 feet down. It's a dike that separates a small lake from the main reservoir, and it's made of huge riprap boulders. The dropoff is pretty steep and I'm sure there are lots of craws around. So I was thinking of tying up some craw imitations to bounce along the bottom, but I don't want to lose my jig every time it touches a rock.

Any suggestions on what style and weight of head to use?

hookup

Sounds like you want snag-less more than weedless, right?

Here's what I found on the rocky ledgy mid-Atlantic rivers that snag less

IMGP0570.jpg

Shoemoo

Well, usually weedless jigs are snagless too. I don't use plastics though, so I was hoping to find a head with a hook I can tie on.

hookup

First, these things aint cheap. I had to modify a mold for them.

If you remove the hitchhiker, you can tie on them. One guy on another board cuts a small notch on both sides of the lead towards the eye & ties a strap jig with a piece of rabbit zonker. Posts some pretty impressive smallies with it. The strap jig goes from the tip of the hook up to the tie on the eye and resists snagging. Nothing's 100 percent, but rarely do they snag.

Another trick is the mono loop trick. Seen it on this board before - tie in a piece of heavy test mono at the eye, tie jig, loop mono back to the eye & tie in.

Let us know what you end up with ... I'm always looking for snagless ideas

Back