Best head for bucktail jig

Muskygary

Just saw a video on FishTV of guys rip jigging bucktail jigs for walleye in weeds. They weren't using any trailers on the jig, but I'm wondering what would be the best jighead? Their jigs looked a little like the teardrop head. Anyone have a idea what jighead and size would work best?

Bucko

Got fishing rivers my favorite is the flathead jig. For lakes I prefer the teardrop, unless I'm fishing over 25 feet deep then flathead. I've had luck with various styles but have come to like those. Can't say I've tried all the different ones out there though, just my 2 cents.

Muskygary

I think I'm going to use the teardrop and the ultra minnow (which should come through the weeds) Think i'll use 3/8, 1/2 sizes.

Bucko

I have not tested the ultra minnow head myself yet. Looking to get some 3/4 oz heads to try this spring actually. Mainly when I fish big bucktails it's in the spring when the water is high and the current is absolutely raging. Therefore, that's is why I rely on the flathead style so much because it cuts the current and gets me down to the bottom where I need to be. I'm willing to bet the ultra minnow head will perform in much the same way given its design.

hookup

I'm old school

Round head's always worked for me in rivers. Walleye, panfish, smallies, and the occational toothy critter

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've read and also personally noticed that to slip weeds best a forward hook eye on the tip of a pointy nose jig head works best.

Pup

I don't believe that head styles matter much to me in lakes, since my line seems to find the aquatic vegetation that collects onto the jig head. Keeping the jig head just above and out of the vegetation on retrieve would be more important to me. Combining larger diameter line with the lightest jig head that I could cast and keep at, or just above, the level of the weed tops would be key to me.

JSC

Several of the swim jigs would be my choice as the eye foward hook helps to prevent weed pile up. The ultra jig makes a good bucktail but for open water.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Casting jigs........ I like the eye forward styles also. Nothing keeps you totally out of the weeds and you will hang them over the line, but i believe the eye forward does help to get the jig pointing up and out of the weeds instead of digging in deeper. Same goes for working jigs down in the rocks.

Back