Beginners Questions

mitrisin

I am a beginner at powder painting and I have a couple of questions.
1) If I paint a jig one day, can I reheat it a day or two later (before I cure it) for either brush tapping a second color or adding a UV topcoat or must it be done immediately?
2) Occasionally I will get a jig that is either not glossy or one that is a much darker color. What were my mistakes?

LedHed

Sponsor
Welcome aboard mitrisin

1) Yes - you can cure anytime

2) "Not glossy" could be not enough cure time or your cure temp was too low. Darker could be too much heat, when you applied the paint, and/or cured too long.

LedHed

Sponsor
Reheating isn't a problem as long as you don'e cure. Even then - there are some paints you can still work with after curing.

LedHed

Sponsor
No worries always glad to help - you'll find there's lots of people on this site that are always willing to help.

macon1

Reheating can darken or char the color depending on the source of heat. In an oven it's much more controllable, using an alcohol burner it's trickier, but do-able.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
One issue i have run into with trying to reheat heads is that the paint will sometimes bubble if it has sat for a long time since i originally painted. Within a couple days and it never happens, but if it sits for a couple weeks, it will bubble. Not an issue at all if you are painting a single color or clear/glitter top coat because the bubble will form and then gloss back over. Does become an issue if you have a base color and put another color over top..... you get freckles of the base color that show through the top color.

One thing that helps is to re-heat it slowly and evenly - as macon said - in the oven where you have precise control.

Re-heating after they are cured is a crap shoot..... some paints are OK and others will scorch and bubble.

--EDIT--

Should have mentioned that i run into the issue i stated in the first paragraph when i try to go back and put powder paint eyes on jigs that i painted previously.

cadman

Just some of my experience with powder paint. I have had a problem with putting purple over yellow chartreuse. Not in the sense of application per se but I want the purple to stand out over yellow. So the first time that I did this and baked the jig the purple blended with the yellow to make an ugly green. This is not what I wanted. I tried again the same thing. So finally I applied all of the colors except the last two which were purple and black. I baked the jig and up to this point everything was perfect. I came back and reheated my jig, applied the purple, blended it through, applied the black blended it through and voila it was exactly as I wanted it. I then baked it again at 250 degrees for a longer time and you couldn't chip the paint. So with all this said, yes you can bake a jig, re-apply powder paint again and again and re-bake. The only thing I'm going to warn you about is that once you bake a jig the paint gets very hard. Now to apply as mentioned above, you have to heat the jig very carefully as to not burn the previous paint. This is very do-able however very time consuming. But the results are worth it.

Back