Before and after

hunter7711

I got the Fox dyed that Toadfrog sent me. The picture is close and it came out EXACTUALLY what I wanted. I used 6 cups water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 16 TBS Rit Lemon Yellow, 4 TBS Rit Aquamarine.
DSCN1672.jpg

toadfrog

You got bout all you need to know right here in this thread . The rest is just plain fun making up you dyeing recipes . I have however found with feathers try to keep the dye bath between 140 and 160 degrees . Some feathers can be damaged by higher temps . I use an infrared thermometer but a candy thermometer will work just as well . Grey squirrel tails and barred hackle make some really cool stuff to go with the new age chenille . Presently I am preparing to do some wild turkey and deer body hair .

JUNGLEJIM1

The dye job turned out great,really like that shade of pink.Is that the color you started with? Time to tie some crappie killers.

hunter7711

That's really not pink, it's natural Silver Fox. Kinda of a gray-white. Go look at the Rit Dye site. They have several hundred shades of different colors, and a formula for each one. The liquid is very easy to use.

StumpHunter

Turned out great!!!! Now I will be dying the fox I got also. Love that color.
Toad, looking forward to seeing your dyed turkey feathers.

JUNGLEJIM1

I really do need glasses. One day soon,perhaps. I'll check out the site. Always on the look out for something easier to use.

hunter7711

Haven't tyed any yet. Tyeing all those shad colored one's kinda got me down both in the back and hands. I've been working on getting that powder paint ready that I'm going to get rid of. I ended up with 70 colors. I don't know if I want to offer 2 or 3 lots. I'm thinking 2 lots for $70.00 with Priority Shipping included. Does that sound too high?

StumpHunter

That sounds like a great deal on the paint!!

Got my dye ordered from Rit, looking forward to try my hand at dyeing. Heck I'll have everything dyed green if I'm not careful!

hunter7711

The color is set. The vinegar made sure of that. I've had a patch submerged for two days now, and it's just as bright as when I but it in. If any of my jigs are ever in the water for 2 solid days, I'm not fishin in the right spot. :)

Lost Pole

Looks really good. What would you call that color exactly? Is it #578 in the chart? 2 to 1/2? Tried that one bf W/ a fail on the results. Wish they had more for fluorescents. Wanna see the combos you come up with.

hunter7711

It's gona stay white. Adam, I'm gona include some of this Fox in your box. I have almost stoped using maribou. I love the look of hackle. BUT Fox is still my favorite tyeing materal. It really gives a full body, with great action. Combine Fox and Hackle and you will have the best of both worlds. I am procrastinating something awfull. Hopefully you'll have a lot of new toys next week. Mainly heads and paint. YOU HAD BETTER MAKE ME PROUD AND POST A LOT OF PICS. Sure wish I was back in MS. Fishin is done for me till at least mid March.

Back