Bead & Pin Jigs

JoJoPro

IMG_0304_edited.jpg
Another alternative to traditional lead head jigs are 'bead and pin' jigs.

280.jpg
Bead and pin jigs are created by inserting a pin or very small nail through a solid metal bead,

281.jpg
and then tying the pin to the jig hook.

I first heard of bead and pin jigs being used as steelhead jigs by Canadian float-fishermen. While float fishing with jigs for steelhead, you allready have weight in the form of split shots on your leader, and you are dead-drifting your presentation with the current (not actually jigging), so a heavy lead-headed jig is unnecessary. Actually a light-weight jig is preferable for float-fishing, as the lighter jig will flutter and move about more in the current.

I began tying up bead and pin jigs because I was unhappy with the pre-poured lead head jigs I was finding. I find that most pre-poured lead head jigs are generally too heavy if they have a size 8 or larger hook, have too small of hooks if they are lighter than 1/64 oz, and pretty much all have weak and dull lite wire hooks. Since steelhead have rather boney mouths and are hard fighting fish, I prefer a strong and super sharp hook for my jigs.
276.jpg
I now tie most of my steelhead jigs on #4 or #6 Daiichi jig hooks or the higher end Mustads in size 8. I generally use 1/2" pins and solid hemmatite beads that I find at my local crafts store. The hemmatite beads are very light weight and inexpensive. I sometimes use solid brass beads which provide more weight but are also more expensive. Using the bead and pin method I can create a jig weighing less than 1/80 oz yet tied on a sharp and strong #4 hook...perfect jig for my float fishing applications.
174.jpg

John

Hawnjigs

KISS
Great pics and explanations! Makes perfect sense for lighter weight heads. How securely does the thread wrap hold the pin?

Does the flash of the bead ever alarm spooky fish?

Why do you prefer Daiichis to Ultra Point 32833 in #4 & #6? Daiichi samples I got years ago were too soft for my liking - maybe a bad batch.

I find tin metal a lighter weight alternative to lead for poured heads.

I'll bet AtticaFish is planning a craft store visit...

Pup

I really like this idea. Nice ties and great presentation. :cool:

I think that a "Bead & Pin Schlappen" tie will have a bit of a ring to it. ;)

JoJoPro

Hawnjigs said:
Great pics and explanations! Makes perfect sense for lighter weight heads. How securely does the thread wrap hold the pin?
Very secure! I've never had one come apart. I almost allways use 6/0 tying thread, first lay down an even thread base, then tie on the pin with VERY TIGHT even wraps. If worried about strength you could apply super glue or head cement to the wraps before going on with the tie, but honestly I have never seen a real need to do so.

Hawnjigs said:
Does the flash of the bead ever alarm spooky fish?
A high shine brass or nickel bead may have fish attracting properties at times, but may spook high pressured fish in low clear water. The hemmatite beads that I most often use are a gun metal gray color with a little less shine to them. Of course the bead and pin could be painted before being tied in.

Hawnjigs said:
Why do you prefer Daiichis to Ultra Point 32833 in #4 & #6? Daiichi samples I got years ago were too soft for my liking - maybe a bad batch.
Not really that I prefer Daiichis, but more so that I still have them to use up. My local tackle shop got me turned on to the Mustad Ultra Points when I was looking for Daiichis in size 8. I still think the Daiichi 4660's are great hooks, but the Ultra Points are even better. Once I use up the Daiichis I will be restocking with the Ultra Points.

Hawnjigs said:
I find tin metal a lighter weight alternative to lead for poured heads.
That would also be a great alternative. Plus far less toxic than lead.

Hawnjigs said:
I'll bet AtticaFish is planning a craft store visit...
:D

John

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Crazy, crazy, crazy!!! - I have been looking at the newer lindy ice fishing jigs that have the weight out in front of the hook eye to make them 'swim' outside of vertical. I was playing around with crimping a splitshot on a piece of spinnerbait wire and then 'wrapping' it with thread to the shank of a jig hook on friday at work! This looks soooooo much more simple. Sorry to go off of your intention of the overall design, but Hawn is correct as well!!!!! I will be making a stop at my craft store first of the week. :cool: You have me pegged hawn. I have a box of finish nails that should serve the purpose. To go heavier as well, i think the tungsten bomb beads might work. Too many options........ :cool: Thanks for posting! :)

JoJoPro

jjsjigs said:
John... your a genius.

Hahahaha....I'm just passing on a technique that I first saw being done years ago. I can't take any credit as being the originator of this type of jig making.

To me the best thing about this style of jig making is that it gives you greater freedom to create your jig head to the specs you prefer. You are not limited to what size or type of hook fits within a particular mold. I've been thinking about tying up some crawfish patterns with this style of jig. That way I could tye the pattern on perhaps a 2/0 bass jig hook, yet still keep it light enough to cast with a flyrod.

Thanks everyone! Hope you have fun experimenting with this different technique.

John

JoJoPro

AtticaFish said:
Crazy, crazy, crazy!!! - I have been looking at the newer lindy ice fishing jigs that have the weight out in front of the hook eye to make them 'swim' outside of vertical. I was playing around with crimping a splitshot on a piece of spinnerbait wire and then 'wrapping' it with thread to the shank of a jig hook on friday at work! This looks soooooo much more simple. Sorry to go off of your intention of the overall design, but Hawn is correct as well!!!!! I will be making a stop at my craft store first of the week. :cool: You have me pegged hawn. I have a box of finish nails that should serve the purpose. To go heavier as well, i think the tungsten bomb beads might work. Too many options........ :cool: Thanks for posting! :)

I have thought about using split shots as the head as well. I think the only problem you would have eventually ran into with the jig you were creating is that the split shot would most likely eventually end up pulling off the spinner bait wire. But, by crimping the shot onto a pin or nail the shot would be more secured as it's sandwiched between the head of the pin/nail and the body of the jig.

The only solid metal beads I've ever seen in the crafts stores (Pat Catan's) are the hemmatite ones. Hemmatite is a rather light weight metal, but these beads serve my needs perfectly. They also sell those hemmatite beads in oval shaped, which would allow for you to extend the weight even further forward. There are also magnetized hemmatite beads. I've always wondered whether or not the magnetization would have any sort of attracting or repelling properties to our game fish??? If you were looking for more weight, you can buy brass beads online from http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Search/solid metal beads.aspx. Or if you're ever around Toledo, OH it would be worth taking a visit to their showroom if you've never been.

012.jpg
Oval shaped hemmatite bead.

John

Uncle Grump

This makes me think you could use any type of beads - metal, glass, plastic, etc.....

Neat idea....

UG

JoJoPro

Uncle Grump said:
This makes me think you could use any type of beads - metal, glass, plastic, etc.....

Absolutely! You could use any type of beads, but to keep the jig swimming upright you want to have at least enough weight to balance it. Glass beads may offer enough weight to do so, but plastic beads likely would not. A nail through the plastic bead may offer enough weight on a smaller profiled tie.

Hawnjigs said:
And UG, a glass bead sounds like a suck eggs idea.

Yep! I had been thinking of tying up some bead and pin jigs using plastic or glass beads, or even making a hot glue egg on the head of a pin to create egg sucking patterns. I was thinking to supply the weight to balance the tie I would put some wraps of lead wire in after tying in the bead and pin.

So many possibilities! :D

John

slipbobber

also do like me I've ben tying for a few steelhead guys and for weight i wrap alittle wire on the hook shank. You can get it at craft stores, hobby lobby, or barlows and janns. Ive tied these for about 2 yrs now....

toadfrog

Keep your eye out for junk shops. auctions garage sales. I picked up a box full of costume jewelery 6'' deep by 8'' long full of old necklaces . Every size and color of bead you can imagine. 2.00 Even got my money back three times over .Couple of pieces were from the fifties and worth money. I was in the process of unbeading when the wife nailed them.

ab1

I've just started tying but must say that those are some very nice looking jigs. I can see using these for fnf in local river for winter smallies but it would probably need to be a heavier head. I think the weight ahead of the eye will give it some nice wandering action.

That blue jig you shared is very nice. Excuse the amateur hour question, but how did you get the chenille to be two tone (distinct top and bottom) like that? I'm starting with zero knowledge and trying to learn from some of the examples on the site

steve r.

exellent ties.... does the jig head being up higher on the hook give it a little more diving/swimming action? great alternative to not having a mold! love it!

Back