Battle of the Lures: Share Your Stories of Homemade Lures Outshining Store-Bought Ones!

EasyKasting

Can you share a story of a time when a homemade lure outperformed a store-bought one, and what do you think made the difference?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Can't say they out performed store bought, but surface plugs turned on a lathe from a 1-1/4" hardwood dowel then painted with silver epoxy caught a few GTs back in HI. Didn't think they had to be 5" or longer and 2-1/2" worked fine. Short and wide enabled huge chugs and aerodynamic long casts.

Been pouring my own jig heads for around 30 yrs with better hooks than commercially mass produced. There are good reasons why Gamakatsu jig hooks cost 10x as much as Eagle Claw classics.

As for jigs, home made 1/16 #6 mink fur ties remain my go-to for big trout. I don't think they are available commercially.

Arne

Ties some really small marabou jigs for fly fishing. Just a dab of solder on the hook and a bit of marabou. Trout loved them and were hitting on them when I could not get them on anything else. Think they were just something different, but worked good.

QPassage

9.2 Florida bass on my custom Shad belly spin. Pb fish, hooked it about 2 years ago. Wore it out, while working the fish in the water to revive and turn loose. It slipped and went out to far. A gator seen it and headed towards it. I threw rocks at the gator till the fish swam off.

Attachments

• 20200730_212322.jpg
    20200730_212322.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1

SPOONMINNOW

As many know from the photos I've posted, creating lures not sold is my obsession followed by catching fish on them.
Right know I'm concentrating on finesse plastic rigged on light jigheads. Of the 77 fish caught today, this fluorescent orange
tail added to a black grub body did fantastic catching crappie, yellow and white perch and sunfish!

IMG_4268.JPG

This grub was modified by cutting off both side to make it thinner plus I stained the plastic with chartreuse and orange dye:
IMG_4277.JPGIMG_4274.JPG
The belly of the grub was removed giving it a more streamlined shape.
IMG_4279.JPG

This hand-poured straight thin-tail caught everything including this 2lb bass:
IMG_4250.JPG
I added gold and black flake to the smoke colored plastic.

This carrot stick was slammed by different species - especially sunfish in 2.5FOW. which wouldn't let it go.
IMG_4252.JPG chart taper tail.JPG
wp stick.jpg
Both colors did great as did pearl:
prl taper tail.JPG
None of the above are for sale anywhere and catch far more fish than most of the products on the market that are rigged on light jigs.

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
Your catches usually don't suck or gulp the lure into their mouths?

Have you lost confidence in darker color tails?

SPOONMINNOW

Your catches usually don't suck or gulp the lure into their mouths?
Some of the smaller lures are sucked in deep in the gullet making it a biatch to unhook! Most are lip-hooked.
Even I am superstitious when it comes to fish recognizing a color pattern for example:
smoke on top/pearl belly - minnow-like
dark green back, chartreuse sides/ orange belly - yellow perch-like
clear plastic/ silver or gold flakes - shinner-like

Since I'm not a believer that fish know what a lure represents, some natural color patterns are nature's way of getting and holding a predator's attention and holding it long enough for the strike-switch to turn on and keeping it turned on until the vicious attack. I will always assume that fish don't necessarily attack to eat a lure, but simply to stop a lure's little dance.

Except for chartreuse, tails usually match body color. My recent success using bright-orange spike-tails makes me wonder why the color may be more of a turn-on than black or bright white. But then again who cares as long as the strikes are consistent on that color now or in the future? The combination of shape/action/presentation/fish locations is the only thing that matters.

Fish do not get tired of a color or lures IMO. Too many fish have never seen it plus fish that attack them don't ask questions when a buddy or many buddies just got caught on it. The word caution doesn't exist in a fish's brain. 80 fish attests to that in one recent outing of many species and fish sizes.

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
"if it ain't troos ain't no use" was proven 2 nights ago here. Since natural pearl baitfish colors have been productive ain't fixed what ain't broke but night before that blown out conditions at my usual spot and a skunk at an opposite shore wind protected one gave me pause and I decided to pay homage to JiggerJohn and went full on with a troos dyed 3" pearl PB Ripple Shad. A lot of factors may have been instrumental besides the lure choice but whatever had the best session of the year with 8 wallys and 4 wipers including 9 master anglers. Noteworthy that Berkley possibly made a mistake with that vintage batch of baits cuz just 1 was sturdy enuf to get practically all of them until it was torn beyond use. Currently the locally popular walleye bait Keitech Easy Shiner may lose its tail on the first nip.

So yah, the effectiveness of troos kinda defies reasonable explanation? As for fluorescent orange, that was the late acclaimed walleye legend Bill Binkelman's #1 choice color for his painted jig heads.

John McKean aka JiggerJohn was a contributing writer for Mr. Binkelman's "Fishing Facts".

SPOONMINNOW

I remember John's articles written during his time at FF. The best ever! He and I were in touch frequently by email and on jigcraft especially when it came to him trying my innovations and lure shapes. I miss him dearly and his feedback such as:
It's always been my opinion that if some slight change in a lure catches ya even one more fish in yer lifetime, it's worth the effort!!OK, go tackle yer usual mass of fishes! Bee healthy! JOHN

I took YOUR advice and worked the little "bulb" on an extra small jig head -prob 1/40 oz with no 6 hook, a shad dart shape. Really allowed the P lure to sink down slowly and horizontally, with even a lot more wobble than normal. I'm convinced that the longer time for the shake and drop encouraged the takes ! JOHN

Frank, I really like the looks of YOUR double dipped, light bulb tail ! This is EXACTLY the better size and FUNCTION of the overhyped, overpriced Jap scat system ! And you've managed to do it ( I KNEW ya would,of course!!) I think this new "Frank's Peanut" will be especially great for those big sheepshead up in Lake Erie, which suck up small wobbly jigs, and , I hear, we'll be heading up there in 2 weeks (wife's birthday) fer a few days! I'm thinkin that yer l'il P lure will go great behind my light headed mop jig front. JOHN

Why didn't I think of your idea of melting a couple together?? After all, as my best long distance fishin partner, you are famed throughout the land as the "Fishing Fusion Physicist" !!! OK, off to see what trouble I can get into today! Bee healthy! JOHN

He caught fish on every innovation I sent him and was blown away by their versatility. I was proud to have known him and wish he had lived longer, not only for me to get his feedback, but for a fishing buddy I never got the chance to fish with.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yes John McK always provided feedback field testing for many jig crafters. His adaptive skill set was such that he was able to tweak successful catches with everything he tried hence his reports were always positive and encouraging.

He mentioned sharing water with many legends - Bill, Buck, Lefty, Bob, among others.

sstansb

So just to clear the air I very much appreciate the jigcraft site and the input from the members. However there could be a separation of pictures from the media drop down --I too would be proud of my catches from lures made proving their worth but I truly would gain more from a more serious dedicated approach teaching new lure builders techniques materials shortcuts tips the grassroots from old school ideas but including the latest ideas, history is being lost. Seems we're more concerned with boasting and bragging via pictures of our catches and that's all good BUT how did you achieve that lets just create a forum of teaching and learnin not bragging board, make that a separate section. I'm 73 years old totally engulfed in anything fishing but have found there are limited individuals that have an interest to pass on the knowledge. I get it there are opinions and versions but let the viewer decide for themselves. Not everyone fishes the same lets just have an open forum for strictly building lures, teaching and learning, leave the bragging board to another site notating who what when where etc. Time i should shutup and just sink back under my rock, no doubt ive overstepped myself.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Howdy ss, looking forward to what you have to share. At age 74 myself can't take it with me so I'm attempting to pass on what I learned. Anyone is welcome to ask questions and I will hold nothing back, except the locations of my honey holes which are very vulnerable to meathead harvest destruction.

Catch result pics are a best way to share the efficacy of creations, but since my Mavica floppy disc cam became obsolete so best I can do is provide catch stats to exemplify the IMO extraordinary results of seasonal shoreline night jigging. Proof is in the pudding, right?

Personally I prefer diverting from strict adherence to posted topics when relevant , like in person conversations.

My emergency flip phone may have a cam, but if it does I don't know how to use it and regardless don't need to take pics.

Indeed us codgers have all developed systems and gear relative to our areas of opportunity, and it would help to know member's geo locations.

SPOONMINNOW

Dang, my age and its effect on memory is telling - I too am 74. What a coinc.!
Talked to a gent today as I was getting ready to leave that was 75. During the conversation, I gave him my views on why and how I caught 34 fish in 2 hours using the lures I showed him. He has vast experience, having caught fish on many lures in his time, always assumed they were food to fish. He may very well be a convert to what really gets fish to bite.

icejohn

I'm 75 as well and have been pouring jigs from 1/64-1oz, tying hair, Marabou and feather jigs as well as painting jigs for plastics for prob 40yrs...I enjoy reading articles here, suggestions from better fishermen than me but would enjoy reading or seeing instructions on modifying plastics both for color and shape...I mainly fish for panfish here in upstate NY but do fish for walleye and bass as well, so any helpful information would be greatly appreciated... thanks for all y'all do on this site 👍.

SPOONMINNOW

YOU ASKED FOR IT lol!
Read my opinionated reply above if you dare! In any case:
1. Lure designs/ types that catch fish are UNLIMITED! (though some far better and more versatile).
2. Small lures worked the right way catch everything - especially on a slow retrieve with pauses depending on lure shape.
Steady retrieve lures (spinners, Sassy Shads for example) may not be what fish will chase/ ambush at times.
3. I use Spike-It marker pens to add a bit of color - on a whim but also when I believe it might make a difference.
4. to repeat: The combination of shape/action/presentation/fish locations is the only thing that matters.
5. Hybrid or modified soft plastic lures increase the variety of lures that all species strike that can be counted on anytime on any water.
Mods can be as simple as making a lure shorter, cutting off the belly of a lure (i.e. Sassy Shad) to give it a different action
Hybrids take the body of one lure and melting it together to the tail of another.
6. Color choice, again, accents a lure's shape and action. A few will do and when color(s) of a lure catch fish, no need to look further - confidence key as for any lure.
7. Convincing fish does not pertain to fish but only to humans. Provoking reactions are applicable to fish and humans.

My examples can be easily copied and they WILL catch fish given the retrieve that enhances a lure's potential.

I live and fish in the lower Hudson Valley, NY and though I have a large number of waters to fish, anymore I fish only a few in order to test my creations and answer these simple questions: how many fish, how many species and size range can be caught with lures x. y. or z.

Small diameter line IMO is imperative! Braid fits the bill ALWAYS for light strike detection and letting the fish start the hookset.
Plus, small diameter line allows the best lure action.

Luck ain't got anything to do with it as long as the above is instituted once fish are found and patterns are discovered.

(But good luck anyway.)

Last edited:

SPOONMINNOW

One last thing about why good lures do well vs many that don't.
My theory:
I fish's brain is like a combination lock when it comes to the strike. There are many combinations that unlock it.
Those combinations include lure shape, size and action. This is applicable to ALL fish species and a good combination gets fish to strike most days.
Any one of the three can be off: i.e. too large a lure, wrong shape, action that doesn't cut it, etc. Any lure I have posted photos of has done well - consistently. But to catch fish consistently, it must be copied exactly or it will lack reliability. Being reliable affects confidence in a lure, one that should always be able to catch fish when conditions are ideal and even when conditions aren't. Granted, mediocre lures have their days but how many good days?

A lure's action tops the list as part of the combination that does well. Look at the way a lure moves that proved effective at provoking the strike. Take the carrot stick design for example.
1689240853911.png
When I twitch the rod tip, the lure darts & waddles back and forth, and the tail's tip quivers just a bit. Fish get so excited that they strike many times on the same retrieve and if the lure is dropped to the bottom and lifted, many times the fish will strike again and get hooked after repeated misses. Recently, sunfish wouldn't let go and were easily hooked.

The above helps categorize lures by their action - one that is dependent on shape and size as well as retrieve. The action might be subtle or in-their-face, lateral line sensitivity / visual effect key! Every lure that provokes strikes, whether surface or subsurface, disturbs the water in some way. How the water is disturbed is key followed by what a fish sees when that disturbance centers a fish's attention on the lure.

Color may be an important part of the combination but only for the visual effect that emphasizes a lure's action/ shape. Also, color brightness vs hue may be a factor depending on available light, turbidity, cover, etc.

Find the right combinations and have fun.

Last edited:

hookup

Here's a few things I've learned

1/. Color only matters when it matters. But when it matters, it really matters. Meaning iterate through different colors until you find the magic one. Some days they all work
2/. Size matters. Sometimes. Ever had a full meal, then you couldn't help yourself but grabbing a potato chip afterwards?
3/. Retrieve speed matters. Sometimes they want a dead stick drop. Others they want the bait burning across their eyes. Sometimes both techniques work.
4/. Match the hatch is a myth. Sometimes. I've caught fish on some of the most obnoxious colored baits. But mostly fish natural colors.
5/. You ain't gonna catch fish unless your line is wet. Fish often.

You guys are classic (what I'm calling old people now)

Back