Battery help please

Pepop

I need to replace my 2 TM batteries. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with the Exide Stowaway Dual-Purpose Batteries? Academy has them for $69. I don't think I'll find batteries any cheaper.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I know nothing of the brand, but do know good batteries are damn expensive. However, putting anything 'cheap' in a boat that you want to be functional always scares me a bit..................

papaperch

I think I would stay away from dual purpose batteries for use with a trolling motor. Get a marine deep cycle that is designed for use with trolling motors. The last one I bought was at Tractor Supply. Think it ran in the neighborhood of 78.00 or so.

The deep cycle batteries are designed for larger ampere usage over an extended time . The cells will handle being charged and discharged more times than a dual purpose.

A dual purpose would be ok for a starter battery for your boat motor but not as a TM battery. Best way to to judge for usage is Ampere Hour rating. AH 100 means that something using an average of 10 amps per hour the battery would last 10 hours. If usage was an average of 20 amps per hour battery would last for 5 hours.

For trolling motors I would get the highest ampere hour rating I could comfortably afford. Suffice to say I spent almost two years working in a battery shop that provided service to about 25,000. From jeeps and trucks aerospace ground equipment and every kind of plane and helicopter you can think of.

Don't know if anyone can claim to be a battery expert. But I could bore the heck out of anyone willing to listen to DC voltage sources and supplies.

Pup

Got a Menards near you? I bought an Exide deep cycle battery from them a couple of years ago for 59 dollars plus tax. They might be worth a visit if you have one in your area. I do believe that they have a few stores in TX.

Check them out online first and call them before making a trip.

Kdog

Pup said:
Got a Menards near you? I bought an Exide deep cycle battery from them a couple of years ago for 59 dollars plus tax. They might be worth a visit if you have one in your area. I do believe that they have a few stores in TX.

Check them out online first and call them before making a trip.

My neighbor went through 7 exide batteries in one season before he got one that would perform. All replaced under warranty and the final battery did hold up for 2 years. He fishes hard and uses his troller a lot more than most and expects 6-8 hours per day from his trolling motor usually in moderate current and often some constant wind.

Although I hate to say it, the Optima batteries are still your best bet. Price is enough to make you cringe, but I know too many folks getting 6-7 years out of a set to say anything bad. I also know that an on board battery charger is a must, charging these with a universal type battery charger kills the life

Pup

So... I guess it depends on how often and long you fish for and how much you want to spend. Have had no problems with the Exide battery as a 'weekend warrior'.

Barefoot

I have been a long time fan of Interstate marine batteries but can't offer any advice when it comes to powering a trolling motor as it has been many years since I have had one on a boat.
I do have a question for Papaperch though.
I am ready to replace an Interstate SRM24 and was thinking of upgrading to the AGM Pro 34M.
Small boat with a 75hp running fish finder, VHF & stereo.
I am interested in hearing your views on the pros and cons of the AGM style batteries.

Kdog

Dont forget the weight factor as well. A buddy of mine has a pair of Trojan 8D-AGM Batteries http://tinyurl.com/pg7rant
He got them from a towmotor shop locally and they are heavy. He is running an 18' Deep V and has a MinnKota V2, 70# thrust motor with all the goodies. It is wired with 4 gage wire.

He is on his third season with those batteries and fishes ~8 hours with spot lock and holds against a current for most of his fishing. He is very happy with them but I would be afraid of them for most fishing boats because of the high weight. those 2 batteries weigh in ~330#. So there is always a trade off. Weight/Run Time/Battery cost. It really depends on how much time you spend on the water. If you are into heavy TM use, lots of power is needed. OTOH if you use TM to move from spot to spot then anchor or drift, you may not need or want the extra capacity. Minn Kota has some good info available thru their web site. Bigger is not always better.

Pepop

Thanks everyone for th input. I'm definitely leaning toward AGM. I heard Exide is in Chapter 11 so I'll probably steer clear of them. I currently have an Optima that's 5 years old & an Exide that's 7 year old. I really think the 2 year old Exide probably shortened the life of the Optima but I'm not sure.

Kdog

Pepop said:
Thanks everyone for th input. I'm definitely leaning toward AGM. I heard Exide is in Chapter 11 so I'll probably steer clear of them. I currently have an Optima that's 5 years old & an Exide that's 7 year old. I really think the 2 year old Exide probably shortened the life of the Optima but I'm not sure.

Good luck. if budget is a concern, WalMart has some Gel Batteries that are reasonably priced with a good warranty that they do stand behind. Once you get a good one, it seems to last 2 - 3 years but from my experience and what my friends say, you will go thru 2-3 before you get a good one. SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS.................

Pepop

Kdog said:
Pepop said:

Good luck. if budget is a concern, WalMart has some Gel Batteries that are reasonably priced with a good warranty that they do stand behind. Once you get a good one, it seems to last 2 - 3 years but from my experience and what my friends say, you will go thru 2-3 before you get a good one. SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS.................

Thanks Kurt. I'll look into that.

Back