Bass jigs for the bass fisherman

cadman

First of all if this is the wrong place to post this please move. Anyway, I've been really busy for a solid 2 months with my bass jigs, and finally got a 4 day break to take some pics . Enjoy, and feel free to comment, critique or whatever you would like to say. I have never done a sexy shad, or a chrome/blue (Bill Lewis rattle trap color).

The Brush jigs in the first pic are EC 4/0 L111BP EWG

The Poison Tails in Pic 2 and 3 Mustad 5/0 30 degree hooks and the Snooties EC 3/0 L111BP EWG

IMG_3178_zps3314fbe2.jpg
IMG_3177_zpsd2d669ca.jpg
IMG_3176_zps32d0de38.jpg

smalljaw

WOW!!! Cadman, what color blue is that on the brush jigs and what colors did you use on the brown/orange/glitter brush jigs next to the blue in the first pic? I want to know because they are awesome as all the rest are too, I have a lot of questions actually but they will do for now, excellent work my friend, I'm jealous!!!!

cadman

Hey guys Thanks for all the compliments. Here are the color schemes

Black and blue brush jig in pic 1 and poison tails and snooties in pic 3: Saphire blue on the bottom and sides, with black on top faded about 1/3 down the sides.

Brown and orange pics 1 and 2: Orange (not flo orange) bottom and sides, with rootbeer on top and sides.

Sexy shad pic 2: Snootie jig all white, yellow chartreuse on top and 1/3 down, bake jig, come back and put med. blue on top and melt to fade in. I never had issues with not baking second time for the added blue. However when you do multiple colors after a first bake, heat slowly, thoroughly and low heat. Make that paint melt and blend and she'll be good to go.

Bill Lewis Rattle Trap blue back chrome: Entire jigs Pro-tec silver, top only with Azure blue, which is really close to the blue in the Rattle Trap.

Finally, pic 3: All those jigs on the right side are Pro-tec pearl color.

All jigs except for the brush jigs were clear coated with D2T (Devcon 2 ton) epoxy.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
They all look excellent. The blue/black pattern has been in my box going back as far as i can remember buying jig-n-pigs. At first, it was always a plain blue skirt with a big black twister grub. The swim jig patterns (especially the all white) i only discover the potential of in the last few years.

Paint question - you mention baking/curing between colors of the Sexy Shad color. I have learned the hard way (and multiple bubbled heads) to heat very slowly if you ever try to re-heat a cured jig. Why do you cure it twice? Why not paint the entire jig then cure it all at once?

cadman said:
....Sexy shad pic 2: Snootie jig all white, yellow chartreuse on top and 1/3 down, bake jig, come back and put med. blue on top and melt to fade in. I never had issues with not baking second time for the added blue. However when you do multiple colors after a first bake, heat slowly, thoroughly and low heat. Make that paint melt and blend and she'll be good to go.....

cadman

AtticaFish said:
Paint question - Why do you cure it twice? Why not paint the entire jig then cure it all at once?

Attica, here is the reason why I do this. Several years ago I was doing six colors on a jig. My last 2 colors were purple and black over yellow chartreuse. All said and done I baked all six colors at one time. When the jig was done, the purple melted (blended) into the yellow chart and turned the color green. Man was it ugly, not what I wanted. So I tried it again with the same results. Then I figured that there has to be a way to do this. So I started color by color to heat and bake. After many trials and errors, I figured out, that when you bake all the colors together at one time, the paint polymers cross-link from the heat as they melt and bind causing color change. Now mind you that this doesn't happen to all colors and I don't know why. However, then I decided to bake each color and add the next color on without baking. I did this step by step and color by color, only to find out that when I did it this way, the last color that was not baked did not fuse on a molecular level, however it did blend into the rest of the colors without changing the color. So I did a durabilty test to see the outcome, and found out that if you heat the last color onto a baked jig on low steady heat, the last color will fuse without changing color, since everything prior to that was hardened by baking. With all said and done, whenever I use yellow or yellow chart, and then put another color over it, I bake everything up to the last color and it keeps all the colors as they were put on. I hope this makes sense. Purple and blue over yellow are the worst to work with. This is my opinion, maybe someone else can shed more light on what is going on.

Radtexan

Awesome work Cad.....some of the best paint Ive seen,and thanks for the baking tip,,,woulda never figured that out...

smalljaw

Thanks for the info!!! I know about the double baking as I do it for a few colors, the main one being table rock shad which is chartreuse with a purple back, it looks good until you bake it and then when it is done the purple blends with the chartreuse and comes out brown. The fix was to do the chartreuse and bake and then do the purple and bake a second time, the first cure sets the chartreuse so it doesn't get as soft and blend with the other color on the second heating.

cadman

smalljaw said:
Thanks for the info!!! I know about the double baking as I do it for a few colors, the main one being table rock shad which is chartreuse with a purple back, it looks good until you bake it and then when it is done the purple blends with the chartreuse and comes out brown. The fix was to do the chartreuse and bake and then do the purple and bake a second time, the first cure sets the chartreuse so it doesn't get as soft and blend with the other color on the second heating.

Looks like you did some homework.:icon14::icon14: I think you are absolutely right on the money with your answer. Once you bake the jig with all the colors, it hardens the paint. Putting a second color on whether baked again or not probably doesn't let the last color penetrate the others. I have only had this happen with yellow chart. I wonder why I never had a problem with red over white, and not get pink? I'm thinking that white is a heavier and denser pigment???????????

cadman

Thanks to all for the compliments and hope the info will make life a little easier down the road.

Back