Bass Gill Jigs

QPassage

Tied up a few of these yesterday. I started dying my own deer tails this year after the prices they are getting. I like the fact I can make my own colors up. My gill colors came out nice I think. 1/4 oz through 5/8 oz.

Attachments

• 20231226_123121.jpg
    20231226_123121.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 30

QPassage

Rit Dye 4oz, 1.5 gal water, 1/2 cup vinegar, TBSP salt, TBSP blue Dawn Soap. Heat water to 140, maintain 140 for 30 with tails in the batch "8-10 tails" Cut heat off soak another hour. Rinse in cool water and let dry a couple days.

Arne

Thanks, sounds pretty easy. Will have to try it one of these days. Probably next year, deer season is about over unless I stumble across a few fresh road kills. Arne.

Fatman

I've been using Fly Dye from Lure Parts online but sadly just learned that they aren't going to carry it anymore!!! I complained loudly!! I'm picking up a few jars of each of the colors they have left. After that It might be back to the Veniards fly dye even though it costs more.

RockGeo

Nice ties QPassage! They look like walleye and smallie jigs. The blend of colors and feathers is good looking.

I too, dye my own bucktails and feathers using RIT liquid dyes and Dharma acid dyes. They each work well but I prefer the Dharma (powder) dyes for bucktails for their richer colors and a wide variety of colors. Creating my own custom colors by mixing powders is fun, interesting and sometimes frustrating. Kool-Aid will work for dyeing small batches of feathers in your microwave but I don't feel you get strong colors and the color tends to fade with use when using it for bucktails.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Back