Bass Fishing - The End Is Near

Pup

I think that this is a very interesting article pertaining to the state of tournament bass fishing and its allied industries and activities in Indiana. BTW, my opinions are neutral toward bass tournament angling.

The End Is Near

How is it doing in your state?

Jig Man

It costs a bunch to chase bass around the lake. I'm more of a fish for the freezer kinda guy. You can buy a lot of beef for 50 g's... Not sure how the industry is doing here in Texas, I don't keep up with it. I do know one thing, I don't see me spending 50 grand on a boat or 35 hunert on a fish finder. Not in the near future anyway...

toadfrog

After the classic was held here in Okla. Think it will go down fast . Those puny fish that won was an embarrassment . That is why I fish for the skillet Bout all you're going to get around here . Like many I'm not shelling out the cash to chase one kind of fish until my name is on a bill board .My frugal side says that's just not justifiable .

smalljaw

Indiana is a lot like it is here, we were a manufacturing state and we had a lot of good jobs but everything left. When we go to Tuesday night Tournaments you'll get 40 boats, out of those there will be 2 or 3 that are new or 3 years old at most, then maybe another dozen that are in the 5 to 7 year range and the rest are made up of boats 10 years old and up. Now here in my state the lake fishing is horrible, all the fish commission worries about is the trout stocking, but we have the Juniata, Delaware, and the mighty Susquehanna which is a world class smallmouth fishery and you see some newer jet boats but most of those are guides. I talked to a guy at a boat dealership, he has 6 boats in the show room and he said if it wasn't for service and parts for all the boats in the area he would be closed, he sells 3 to 5 Aluminum boats a year but 1 fiberglass bass boat, 2 if he is lucky and 3 if there is a guy with a trade-in, and this is in an area that Cabelas put in a super store because of the avid outdoors people we have here. The guy that owns the shop told me that to get a decent bass boat you're looking at 40K, 20K will get you in one but you'll have bare minimum everything, not many have that kind of scratch anymore. Range finally realized the declining sales and are now making Aluminum boats as well.

papaperch

I think boat sales are in trouble overall. Our economy has been anemic at best for quite awhile. On a personal side its crazy to contemplate a purchase that is going to cost me more than my first house. I paid 15,000 for my first house back in 1973.

It was no mansion by any means. But was a well kept up 2 bedroom home with a 1-1/2 garage. A starter home as it was known back then. An average boat , motor and trailer could be had new for @ 5-6 K. In other words easily affordable for the average working class person. Now a like equipped aluminum boat is going to set you back @ 20 K.

That is why I am still fishing in my 1994 Lund. If I were to buy a new one I could not afford to go fishing.

JSC

" If I were to buy a new one I could not afford to go fishing."

I will second that one ... just spent a bunch overhauling my rig ... Motor, Trailer & Boat.
It cost no where near what a New rig would cost (2000 - 40 HP -15' Xpress Alum. Galvanized Trailer)
Trim Tilt, Water Pump, Misc bushings in carb linkage, running lights, trolling motor deck mount,
trailer bunkers, fenders, springs, tail lights and a lot of other odds & ends.

Back