Banned brit Booby fly

D_Gold

As many of you know, I am new to this site and fishing generally. Some of you have been kind enough in your replies to my Welcome thread to say we can learn from each other. Given my inexperience, this may be one instance where that is true...

Apologies for the name, but this fly really is called the 'booby'. Nice youtube vid on tying it here, and where I got the tip you may not know about it:

If you want to buy the tubes, research "booby eyes" rather than "tubes" as stated in the vid. A number of sellers on Ebay.CO.UK sell them: I am sure some will export. If not drop me a PM and I'll see what we can arrange.

I have zilch experience with this fly (and any others), but I can tell you it has been banned from a number of our waters, and I don't think that is down to the name;) The Bloodworm is the only other one I know of which shares this honour.

I'd love to hear of any success you have, and if all else fails it makes for an interesting conversation piece with your buddies...

D_Gold

Paraphrased quotes from a few sources for yous: Love it or hate it the booby is a devastatingly effective pattern when the trout are feeding hard on the bottom. fish on a fast-sinking line with short leader of about 3 feet & retrieved very slowly / cast out as far as possible, allowed to sink right to the bottom, and then twitched back to angler in a very slow fig. of 8 retrieve... All boobies have buoyant eyes of closed-cell foam, and this buoyancy plus turkey marabou tail gives a tremendous action... Takes will be vicious with it often being completely swallowed. That is why the fly is usually banned on waters where catch-and-release is allowed... One of the most successful early-season flies ever devised... a floating line and a long leader [best] in summer"

Back