Ballheads for Bass

Pup

Rearranged some jig boxes last weekend and found the following jigs that I'd tied a while back.

jiggroup005.jpg

These are some of my favorite jigs for fall river bass when the waters are clear. Made of craft fur with a little tinsel on 1/4-oz. heads with either #1 or 1/0 hooks.

Get excellent casting distance with these, yet are light enough to avoid snags with immediate retrieves. I swim them by slightly oscillating my rod tip in an up and down fashion.

ScottV

Great looking jigs Pup! They really ought to do the trick. I've never used the craft fur but it does look good.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent ties, gotta love that silver in clear waters. Very top one has got to be my favorite and really like the cream/orange.

Using 1/4 oz, are you fishing these in deep water or is it fast current?

Pup

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

AtticaFish said:
Using 1/4 oz, are you fishing these in deep water or is it fast current?

Both. During spring and sometimes early summer, I like to cast these across the headwaters (end of riffles) of a river pool and then retrieve (swim) them past boulders and logs (current breaks) into deep eddies. Often, I'll get bites just as I retrieve them across the closest current seam and into an eddy. I have my best success with these when the water is fairly clear.

During the fall, as the water becomes very clear and the smallmouth bass move into deeper river waters (large eddies and pools), I'll fish them there too. Sunny days are best for me when swimming them.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Makes me want to get out and away from my home river. :-/ I fish my super shallow/slow "lunch break river" so much that everything you talk of sounds alien to me. Deep for me (when not choclate milk, like it is now) is usually about 3' deep. I can wade pretty much anywhere in the river, but stay out of those deeper spots because that is where the :bigfish: are! Be warned - I may just knock on your door some day requesting a guide service......

Pup

This time of year, most of the guys I know fish for smallmouth bass with walk-the-dog or wake baits. That is...whenever the river isn't a chocolate mess. They're very successful with "reaction bites". They cover a heckuva lot of water while wading suburban areas of the river and smaller creeks.

If ever you're in my area, you're more than welcome to join me. However, I'm more comfortable fishing "downtown" along concrete sidewalks, rip-rap, and embankments nowadays.

The fishing can be excellent there too. ;)

Back