Bag 'em, Dano

jiggerjohn

My 32 yr old son was whomping me during a short morning trout session a few days ago. "Do ya want to hold my rod on the next trout, just so ya don't forget what one feels like? " he teased. OK, time to bring out the big guns -so I reached for the thin blue plastic grocery bag that we carry our very limited selection of trout gear in. No, not to search for another jig, as Sean & I were using about the exact same satin/wool jig anyway(tho Sean's "special" Banshee sported a 1" thin rabbit strip trailer). But, rather to cut a thin 1 1/2 " pointy tailed strip out of the ultra thin, flimsy plastic material for a tapered, minnow like tail. Smug son wasn't so gleeful as I nailed a limit in the next 15 minutes!!

As reported here before, I've often employed these thin baggie strips previously -always with huge success. Can't beat their cheapness, and I can cut them in any length or shape that I desire, right on the water's edge to meet conditions & fit the jig size I'm using at the time. Recently, for instance, I made a dandy helgrammite imitation with a quick few side snips with scissors to give legs! Usually, tho, it's a straight V cut, starting at the hook pinning end of about 1/4 width. Yet any quick snipping "artistry" seems to produce!

Old buddy, Keith of Hawnsjigs, asked me why I thought these simple attachments worked at all. Here's a list of what I think I think about them:
1) Ultra thin width (about 1/20 as thick as thinnest pork rind strip) for no distraction or added weight to a wooly jig regular motion
2) BLUE color, which seems magical at NP & Pym the past year or so
3) No harsh action, just a nice NATURAL roll and flapping
4)Pointy tail offers very subtle quiver on slow, straight retrieve
5)Adds length and tapered minnow profile
6) Smooth & slick for easy entry into fish mouths; no problem for them inhaling something this light& wispy
7) Even slowest steady retrieve, trying NOT to impart added motion,pulls out the best action in these tails!
8)Tail doesn't interfere with dangling, rippling flashabou trailers
9) Cheap(free!) & any shape ya wanta cut, even while on the water (fly catalogs recently began offering precut minnow&crawfish shaped tails-no where near as active as baggies- for about 4 bucks per 8 tails! Fly guys must be rich!!)
10) Rides perfectly ABOVE wool & satin,marabou, bucktail,artificial tying material, or calf tail jigs
11) Flapping action could add sound/vibration as do vinyl sales "flags" at store sales events in the wind
12)Ya can always use a small bag to carry/store items for fishing -now rims of the bag itself can be turned into a lure! Carry small scissors!
13)My " Blue point specials" are wider than flashabou strips for more visibility, and the 2 materials coordinate well together
14) They stay on the hook extremely well despite their seeming flimsiness, but if one is stolen by quick slurping fish, replacement by pinning takes but a second
15) Colors are endless for baggies from various sources, including, with careful cutting over printed bags-stripes& multi-colored tails, tho I love my simple light blue ones
16) From testing, fish seem to prefer baggies over live bait tipping, plus ya can carry a season's supply in your pocket
17) Bag strips are natural for the subtle up-down motion of vertical jigging
18) Trout and panfish ,among others, love 'em

So ,as I tell my Hawaiian jig making buddy, "Bag 'em, Dano!"

jiggerjohn

Yeah, yeah, Hawnjigs, I know how ya like to keep your hand on the shorthairs (just please don't bag those for me!!!). However, I recently did get to tie & test a rather amazing natural fur & flash combo that is used as fly "dubbing", but makes a superb SHORT tailpiece or jig collar. It's called Dark Water Dubbing from a pro tier in Canada. He carefully produces the stuff with lots of labor and ties a rather amazing fly with this rabbit hair material as told in this story - http://darkwaterdubbing.wordpress.com/the-ddh-leech/

Hawnjigs

KISS
Well, don't forget who taught me the proclivity for handling shorties.

I don't understand what makes a particular branded material better than another? For example DNA HoloFlash looks just like Flashabou Pearl or Krystal Flash or ? Anyways, since I learned to KISS haven't even seen dubbing, since fur hide strips ain't broke yet.

jiggerjohn

I'm just back myself from a weekend fishing with ole pal,Red of woolie jig fame. The weather was unstable & we got blown off the big reservoir the first day (also him having been a long time commercial fisherman in Florida-when he eyed the skies and sez "we gotta get in now!", you tend to listen! First time I can remember him proclaiming this at Pym!). But returned to his home made lake & caught one fish after another, almost every cast, until dark! Next day we went to a protected bay, and tho it was slow(bright, high sky, post cold front), we got this strange new jig pattern (tipped our small jigs with thin width ,pointy tailed plastic strips,cut from colorful grocery bags!!) that had us outcatching everybody else out there combined ! We got a nice mess of fine eating perch, bluegills, 8 largemouth bass, and a couple of other species. Red had even tried tipping his jigs with live minnows to coax the extremely wary biters, yet the "bread bags" (as Red called em) outdid minnow tipped jigs by at least 10 to 1 ! Then back to his house for dinner & more fast pond action (again with baggie strips - a crappie almost very cast!)!

papaperch

JJ- used to have an ice fishing pal that did with balloons what you are doing with the plastic bags. He had a bunch of nieces and nephews and always wondered what could be done with all the busted balloon material b-day parties.

Taking a page off of the Swedish Pimple little teasers he cut with scissors a little 3/4 to 1 inch strip round on one end to a point on the other.

Never paid too much attention to it . Until one day he was waxing my sox so to speak at a quarry pond. Pond had oversize gill and crappie in it. I had a few fishing shallow and I looked over and he had the top of the ice just littered with fish. Thought it was just the fact he was in deeper water at first. But after about 45 minutes of his continuing wax job . I had to ask whats the secret.

He handed me one of his cutouts and said tip your jig with that.Specifically I had a pin min on and tipped with live maggots. I could not process what this little red hunk of a kid's balloon was gonna do. After the 10 th fish I quit wondering. I would get bites with just the lure and maggots. But the balloon trick made them bite a lot faster.

It actually turned a just ok day into a fantastic outing. One of the things I used to look forward too every fall. Was this pal running over to my house with the ice fishing annual. Of course the annual was always full of the latest and greatest lures that you just had to have in order to catch fish thru the ice. He was always wanting to bet the authors of the stories that he could outfish all of them with his balloon trick. I would not have bet against him.

Unfortunately , his other " talent " was drinking. Used to visit him after I got off the midnight shift now and then. Only guy I ever knew that could be " sheets to the wind " at 7:15 AM. Although exact same age as I his drinking resulted in an early death.

jiggerjohn

PaPa Perch, Yep, I'd long ago heard of the balloon trick - a very old Fishing Facts mag in the 60s had a story of "yellowtails" -yellow balloon strip which the author claimed would get him 100s of fish almost everytime out, as jig tippings. It worked for me, but the balloons would also get old & sticky and loose their action. Then a much later story in either Outdoor Life or SA had a story on using garbage bags cut into big lizard & creature shapes as fantastic big bass getters _I'm still searching to find that story again, if any mag collectors has it!But the ultra thin modern plastic used in grocery bags has better translucent color and much better action than the others. It sure takes a lot to surprise ole Red -yet even the hardened ole vet was loudly proclaiming the value of baggie strips by mid day! Our Sunday take, now filleted was 37 perch, 56 crappies, 8 big bluegills, 10 largemouth bass,(all on a very tough, bright, post cold front day that about blanked everyone else) and many more than that released over the weekend!

Back