Auto Tip-Up

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Got to looking through some old mags and re-reading articles and stumbled across an advertisement for a gadget (the automatic icefisherman) similar to an ice fishing tip-up but it had a holder for an ice rod. The tip of the rod is double over (cocked for hook set) and it has a trigger mech. that releases the rod tip to set the hook when something grabs your line. :cool: Regular tip-ups are fine for catfish, bass or walleye but the stoneage style that i have are not sensative enough to be tripped by bluegill or sunfish. Panfish rarely hook them selves either, something needs to cross their eyes.

When i ice fish, i usually start by drilling several holes to cover different depths, usually 3 or 4 and they can be somewhat spread out. I normaly put a baited rod on a bucket in one hole and roam around to the other holes looking for fish and keep watching the 'dead stick' rod for any bites. If i see a bite on the dead stick, most times when i get back to it, the bait is gone... as well as the fish. :mad:

So...... :D:D:D A little lumber, a PVC pipe, some hinges and other hardware and voila!

101_2327_e.jpg

101_2329_e.jpg

101_2330_e.jpg

A homemade auto-hook-setting-tip-up-fishing-machine??? haha!!! In test runs, it doesn't take much of a pull on the hook to trip the rod. And it DOES have some force behind it, i set the hook twice on my finger when i was trying to test it. Hopefully i can give it a try on the ice this weekend.

Uncle Grump

Attica

Check your local regs before you take your invention on the ice. It might be a no-no....

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
UG - I actually did ask around on what these would be classified as. In Ohio, we are allowed to use 2 rod/reels and an additional 6 tip-ups per person fishing. I was thinking of making up another 1 or 2, so wanted to make sure i was not breaking the rules.

I plan to attach a flag of some kind, and from what i have read, they should be considered tip-ups.

Back