Attica #2 Reservoir

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Fished (dusk) from 7:30 to 10:00. Jig about 3' under bobber. Took me waaaaay too long to figure it out and then lost several at the shore. Had to pop it hard several times then let it sit for a painful 10 seconds or so before the bobber would flick, then swim off sideways. Was using a little heavier jig tonight (1/24) with a wool/kip tail in white/orange. Blade on my knife is extended out to the 9" mark, fish measured 9.5" to 10". As i was catching them, was positive they were black crappie........ but that was spur of the moment, on the stringer, back in the water.... not really looking at the fish i guess. When i cleaned them, they were for sure all white crappie. All males, with such dark colors, assuming they have to be close to spawning. One had its lower tail all cut up from fanning on a bed. Need to take a walk over to the far north corner....... may be able to find a few beds since i think it is a little shallower over there. Time to fill the freezer!!!!!

Attachments

• 100_7366_e.jpg
    100_7366_e.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 63

StumpHunter

Nice catch and report. The whites around here spawn after the black crappie and they are spawning now. Very nice colors in those crappie.

papaperch

Spawning colors can kinda blur the identification as you already know. The most reliable method is to count the back spines.

One good thing both species make excellent table fare. The black crappie is little beefier than a white of equal length normally.

JUNGLEJIM1

Nice one's, they should start moving up here as well with the 80's here. Need to check out a couple ponds for the first time since I came back from Cal.

Back