Articulated Damselfly Nymph

AllenOK

Decided to do an Articulated Damselfly nymph. Hopefully this solves the problem of the detached bodies of the previous pattern I was tying.

This is a blend of a few different patterns. Lead hook is a size 12 scud, the articulated body is the shank of a size 8 gold Aberdeen "Crappie" hook.

I might switch up the lead hook. Hoping to find something that gives it even a little more action.

View attachment 3

Attachments

• 20161127ArticulatedDamsel.JPG
    20161127ArticulatedDamsel.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 38

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a fish catcher, i do like the pattern. Does it have dumb-bell eyes or is that a bead head? I am thinking you are on the right path using the scud hook because of how they bend. If you look around, you can find some scuds that have sort of an arch in the back instead of a steady round bend. Thinking that style may let the articulated part swing more? Not sure. I do know there are lots of different shapes when it comes to the scud hooks.

North Country...... ha! Think Allen brought the South with him when he moved. Granted you are 2.5 hours North of me, but we hit 60° here today! Pretty crazy, not sure where winter is? I'm not complaining yet (the walleye night bite is going slow and steady), but my ice gear is still feeling lonely from last year.

AllenOK

AF, those are bead-chain eyes. I really like how they imitate bug's eyes. They add a little weight, but not as much as hourglass eyes. I might do some hourglass eye versions as well, once I perfect the pattern. The spot I want to use these has a shallow flat for several acres that's only a few feet deep, but has a break on one side that drops down to 11 FOW or so.

It does seem like I brought Global Warming with me, doesn't it? Last year was an El Nino year, which means warmer-than-usual winters up here. This year is an La Nina year, which typically means a cooler-than-normal winter. I've heard a lot of different people, and even some Weather Shamans, say that.

Of course, that cool weather sure is taking it's time getting here.....

Back