Anyone target catfish with jigs?

NorCoMike

Good afternoon!

Just wondering if anyone actually targets catfish with jigs? If so do you have a pattern that you like or that works? Going to be fishing a catfish tourney at big mac the first weekend of may. Usually it just involves big dead or smelly baits was hoping maybe someone has a pattern i could tie up and try to fish it a little bit different.

Jig Man

Naw, if I'm catfishing I usually use live bait or smelly stuff. I would suggest a craw fish patern... If you have them in your area.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Altho I've caught a fair share of cats under 10# on Boolies, its a LOT EZer with bait, speshly on big water like the Mac. Per JigMan's suggestion, perhaps a Gulp! craw on a jig head might offer the scent attraction factor of natural bait for cast & retrieve searching. My experience is that squid strips on a jig head outfish Power Bait plastics which outfish tied jigs.

jiggerjohn

As Hawn mentioned above, cats do love the buzzin' Boolies-especially early in the year, if ya can swim them past big rocks or boulder lairs. They are in a spawning mode at this time,and won't travel far to search for food, but grab the morsels that swing in close to their hidey holes -a jig, of course, does cover water to make these contacts much better than still fished live bait. However, when cats are more active my son and I have an almost surefire JIGGING tactic for bigger ,hungrier catfish ; we'd take a small jig(size 8 hook) and tip with a maggot to catch a 3-5" bluegill or sunfish in the shallows. Then,leaving the 'gill lip hooked, we'd take a double(preferred) or treble stinger hook and slide its leader loop on our snap (which we'd previously attached the jig to, then place one prong of the hook into the side of our freshly caught bait. Score the sides with a knife for lots of blood, then cast to known hotspots. Work with slow pulls and pauses, often letting the injured bait flop around on its own near bottom cover. Of course you could pin the panfish on a bigger,thick hooked 1/4 to 1 oz jig for this method, but even for cats I like lighter spinning outfits and rarely use more than 12 # test braid (preferring 5# power pro with the little jig set-up, even for cats up to 20+ pounds). This lighter cat technique isn't for everybody, but is VERY productive -just keep your bait fresh (catchin' them at intervals is half the fun!).

hookup

I dont target cats with jigs, but catch many in the mid-Atlantic river system - I call them bonus fish.

The jigs i catch them with usually either have scent applied to the chenile wrapped around the shank of the hook, or the scented plastics I tip the jig with.

Kdog

I do not target cats but sometimes think maybe I do because I catch a bunch. Do a lot of slow drift fishing vertical jigging with small jigs tipped with 1/2 of a nightcrawler. If you get a bit hasty and bounce it up over a rock rather than around it, you catch whisher fish routinely. Biggest to date was a 40# shovel head on a 1/16oz hot pink pony head with gold blade, tipped with a night crawler.

NorCoMike

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will tie a few patterns to try but since it is a tournament I will go back to bait if I'm not having much luck.

Keith have you been over to the west side of big mac? Just wondering what the river coming into the lake looks like right now. I will primarily be fishing either the river or right around the mouth of it as I have always done well in that area.

quivira kid

Black leech with an orange head seems to do the trick for me! Or a chartreuse over yellow Clouser minnow fly...... Bumped along the rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LedHed

Sponsor
Don't have a specific pattern but have caught them while fishing for BGs & REs on the auto pattern tipped with crickets. Seems like they prefer a red head, fluorescent green body, with chartreuse green legs and tail.

jiggerjohn

My fishing buddy Red, the vertical jigging master who developed the super productive wool/satin jig, always warns me NOT to EVER to tip his jigs with a 1" piece of nightcrawler -" Ya can't keep the dang channel cats off them!", he exclaims! In his home waters of Pymatuning reservoir (Pa/Ohio border) Red reports there's been a huge increase in the catch of big channel cats, and more recently big blue cats, so it's like Kdog reported above- vertical jig over rocks or wood with 1/16 ozers and a nightcrawler tipping ; there's both numbers and size of these hard fighters to contend with !

Pup

For as many channel cats as I've caught on inline spinners, I'd give a Danielson Doughbait Spinner a shot to catch them regularly.

0003205406634_500X500.jpg

These can be purchased pretty inexpensively if you have an Ollie's Bargain Outlet near you.

Uncle Grump

Mike

Not that I've caught a lot of channels, but those I've caught when not using bait have been on jigs, in May and June. They've been on tied jigs, and on those tipped w/ soft plastics.

UG

Hawnjigs

KISS
Mike, being a real A.S.S (Association of Shoreline Stalkers) I haven't ventured further west than Cedar View since its pretty much impossible to shoreline jig towards the river with all the drowned trees. I've been advised tho that big cats and pike action are warming up around the west end and up the N. Platte with occasional bonus walleye. As a side note the Mac Dam spawning run is tailing out and yesterday evening there were only a half dozen trucks parked in the south end parking lots.

NorCoMike

Thanks for all the help guys! Didnt manage any one jigs but we managed 6 fish with a total weight of 26.40. Not good enough for first but we didnt take last or get skunked so it was a success in my book. Plus i ended up with a nice 9.68 pound female for my big fish of the day.

Keith we ended up wading the river in the clear creek area but i do see how all the downed trees would make it a nightmare on the west end of the lake.

Attachments

• Catfish.jpg
    Catfish.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 64

Hawnjigs

KISS
Nice healthy chunk there, Mike. I've actually not been to that area, are you on the north or south shore? What method(s) worked for you & your crew? Any other species caught?

Cats on jigs are generally a pleasant surprise bycatch - got two on 1/8 Boolies last week off the Lemoyne rocks targeting other species. Biggest was 7#.

NorCoMike

Keith

We were on the north shore. Make sure to take waders there were alot of ticks back by the river and quite a few bull snakes. The most succesfull ways to catch them was drifting a raw shrimp or creek chub. We used a 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz sliding sinker in the main line then a swivel for the stop and a short 8 or 10 inch leader to a 3/0 circle hook. We caught all of the bigger fish in the deepest holes on the outside bends of the banks where they get undercut from the current. We also caught a couple of white bass and one good sized wiper and carp were everywhere.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That is a good size cat and looks nice and clean. Usually once they get that large they start looking beat up.

Nice shirt too. :D

NorCoMike

Thanks Attica it always gets some looks haha! That fish did have one beat up spot on the top of her nose that you cant see in the picture. Other than that she was in great shape all the fish we caught were nice and healthy!

Keith with all the flooded timber and vegetation i wouldn't be surprised to see a good crappie population within a couple years there.

Radtexan

AtticaFish said:
That is a good size cat and looks nice and clean. Usually once they get that large they start looking beat up.

Nice shirt too. :D

You could at least shown your trophy kitty Russ ;)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431098034.763818.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431098034.763818.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 36

Shoemoo

I've caught a few channels on sparkly black and other realistic-looking minnow patterns. Biggest one was about 11 pounds.

Back