Anyone have the Do-It live bait with stinger eye mold?

Shoemoo

It's Do-It model LBS-6-A:

473433.jpg

I want to try some experiments with this style jig, but I don't want to go to the expense of buying the mold if my idea doesn't work out. So I want to get about a dozen unpainted heads in the 3/8ths, 1/2 and 5/8th size with the stinger eye. I'd prefer plated hooks with a normal length shank (please no short shank or bare bronze, they won't work for what I'm thinking), but the exact size, color and hook style is not important as I will be cutting the hook.

I can pay or trade powder paint (see other thread), white or dyed Arctic fox fur, or possibly other things. Reply or send PM if you have the mold and are interested.

Kdog

I had one and gave it away. Memories of fighting to get that eyelet in place still haunt me. That is a true specialty jig and I wish you luck in finding a source. It is made for short shank hooks but regular and long work without modification.

GrouseFly

One of the few I don't have...I have the regular live bait just not the stinger version...I even have 4 different colors of short shank hooks besides bronze...lol...but no stinger mold...Good Luck..

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
This coming from a guy who DOES NOT pour lead so i could be way off.......... Couldn't you modify a round head mold to take the extra eye? Thinking it would be very close to how a ball head would be modified to take swivels to spinner jigs.

Hawnjigs

KISS
From the mouths of babes...

Good idea AF, looks like a fairly EZ 2 stage mod with a drill press.

Shoe, what does "cutting the hook" mean?

Bucko

GrouseFly said:
One of the few I don't have...I have the regular live bait just not the stinger version...I even have 4 different colors of short shank hooks besides bronze...lol...but no stinger mold...Good Luck..

where'd you get the colored short shank hooks from? do tell do tell! I don't have the stinger version either. I meant to get it and ordered the wrong one by accident. just regular one here....

Shoemoo

Hawnjigs said:

Good idea AF, looks like a fairly EZ 2 stage mod with a drill press.

Shoe, what does "cutting the hook" mean?

I will be cutting the hook point off after tying.

In my experience, most jigs that don't get lost get retired because something went wrong with the hook. It gets snagged and bent out or the point breaks off or goes dull past the point of sharpening. My idea is to use these stinger jigs and tie them as normal, then cut the hook off at the bend and crimp a naked open eye siwash hook to the stinger eye. That way if there's a problem with the hook, it will be easy to swap out and you won't have to retire the jig.

There's a popular technique for salmon up here called twitching. The technique demands that the jig fall straight up and down as much as possible in moving water, so you need a really heavy jig. I would need a few samples to make sure the hook doesn't get tangled too often in the line during the cast or retrieve.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify, didn't mean to modify an entire mold, if it were my own molds........................ i would have the production mold in the size i use most often - and then modify a single cavity of that mold to accept an extra
eye/swivel. Could use it either with stinger hooks or regular style and use swivels to create spin jigs as well. :cool:

Hawnjigs said:

Hawnjigs

KISS
I don't get it. Why not use an earball for interchangeable hooks/ties or a quality main jig hook which is less likely to bend out, snap, or dull?

GrouseFly

Bucko said:
GrouseFly said:

where'd you get the colored short shank hooks from? do tell do tell! I don't have the stinger version either. I meant to get it and ordered the wrong one by accident. just regular one here....

I ran across a closeout deal a few years ago...I got them directly from the factory. These are just a little bigger than the 1/0 SS. but they still work just fine. I have black chrome,chartruese,crawfish/orange,and red. BigBiteJigHeads.jpg

Shoemoo

Hawnjigs said:
I don't get it. Why not use an earball for interchangeable hooks/ties or a quality main jig hook which is less likely to bend out, snap, or dull?

Because with an ear ball you still have to tie the dressing on the hook, and even quality jig hooks can get dull or have the point roll over on a snag. Plus with such a heavy head on a solid shank, the fish has a lot of leverage to throw the jig when it headshakes or jumps. And trust me, salmon and steelhead LOVE to headshake and jump.

My idea is you can replace the siwash hook and the jig will still have all of its materials on the shank of the original hook. As long as the hook doesn't want to snag around the line when you cast.

Redman gave me a 3/8th and 1/2 ounce production roundhead mold I can modify, but I still want to test the idea on some actual jigs before I go drilling my mold.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, haven't had any anadromous opportunity yet, but them trouties flip me off regular both above and in the water on 1/4 size jigs, so I now stick to 1/8 & under. Well, actually, I plan to try a 3/16 size next river opportunity.

But I still don't get why a Siwash shank tie would be less desireable than on a jig hook?

Shoemoo

Well, my theory is there are two advantages:

You don't have to retire the jig when something goes wrong with the hook. You just take the siwash off and put on a new hook and it's as good as new.

With the jig head not rigidly attached to the shank of the siwash, the fish has less leverage to throw the hook.

Back