Any tips for my Work Area?

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Im building a 20' x 11' room that will double as my tackle making room and also a small shop. But who am I kidding its mostly for fishing! I'll tell you what Im planning and if you know of anything I should consider adding, TELL ME!

First and foremost there will be a/c and heat! On one wall will be my tying desk and a 10ft long, 2ft deep flat countertop. Here i will be able to pour lead, bend wire, paint.... Im thinking of going with a wall mounted exhaust fan at the lead station. I will have outlets and peg board all over the place to hang everything in sight. The opposite wall will be shelving for storage. Any of you have any tips or things to consider? I think i have it planned out pretty well but it seems like you always forget something! Thanks for any help. Ronny

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Thanks for the tips LH. How do you feel about flourescents? I planned on having an 8ft flourescent directly over the 10ft countertop, should keep from having shadows. Then a 4ft over the desk and three more 4 footers to light the rest of the room.

hhawkins

Little counter top storage shelves, the ones that have 12 or so little pasltic drawers, usally to keep screws and nails in. Very handy for hooks and other "what nots".

Hawnjigs

KISS
Metal top on your lead pouring table area, preferably with a lip to contain spill run off. Mine is aluminum sheet with bent up edges & welded corners.

I just have a simple open carport setup, but if I were to start from scratch custom would design in an overhead vent fan and side & rear metal splash guards integrated with the table top.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
HH - thanks cant have too much storage!

Hawn- I was goin to use a sheet of aluminum but hadnt thought of putting a lip on it. The splatter guard is a great idea too!

Thanks folks... Keep the ideas coming!

LedHed

Sponsor
RD
Sounds like you got the lights covered. I have some smaller 18" fluorescent lab lamps, for close up work, that use daylight bulbs.

I also use a sheet of tempered colored glass (from an old coffee table), on one counter, for powder painting (easy clean up) and using the toaster oven.

Don't forget the tunes...

JUNGLEJIM1

It sounds like you are going to be really busy setting it up.I'm envious,I bet it will look great. How long is this project gonna take? The way I do things it would take much longer then planned.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Jungle, things always take longer and cost more! The main thing is that Im just going to take my time in planning it out. I dont want to be saying "Man i wish i woulda...!" Once i figure out where everythings going then I can knock it out. I hope that it will be done in less than 6 weeks. But with me only being able to put a couple hours a day and being gone on the weekend... Ha that might be unrealistic!

papaperch

In case you have not thought of it. I really like the small plastic drawer sets that Wal-Mart sells. I have about 12 of them around my work ( play really) area. They hold my color pens and specialty tools like the slip ring pliers. That way I am not always looking for them. I use a standard sharpie to idenify contents of each drawer. Best of all they are inexpensive they range fro m about 2.99 to 7.95 depending upon size and configuration.

Everytime I walk by themm at Wally world I am tempted to buy more of them.

slipbobber

if you going to pour heads in there, you need the most important a vent to the outside...i use an old stove hood for mine. and vent it to the outside like you would on your house....

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I moved this up to the main tying board - good info and ideas here. If it was me, i'd have to agree with LH on this one. I'd get one stud wall up and hang some speakers and crank up the tunes. :cool: Can't give you any suggestions other than that... i tie on a foot-stool and keep my materials in a tool box and plastic bags! :D :jig:

Here are some tabletop organizer idea that I use. This is my spoons and in-line spinner station. The red one is one of several models that Lowes carries and they are stackable. It holds spoons, collars, hooks and skirts for my spoons. The blue one is from Hobby Lobby, use that 40% coupon, other sizes are available from them. I use that for lead painted in-line lure bodies, blade die cuts and lure tape. Then the two clear ones are some spare Plano boxes with the movable dividers. They house spinner & french blades, clevises, brass & nickel lure bodies, split rings, etc.
Spoon%20&%20In-Line%20Spinner%20Station.jpg

skeetbum

You said something about an exhaust fan near the lead area. I saw a video a while back about a guy that revives crank baits. Buys old ones with no or bad finish and repaints them with an airbrush. He took an oven/stove hood and turned it vertical with the back that is normally against he wall on the top of the countertop he was working on. He put a vent thru the wall to the outside and had a cover that could be closed during bad weather. Anyway, you see where this idea is going, thought I would plant the seed and let you fertilize it and make it grow. Also, look up a lite called an Ott Lite at Hobby Lobby. The lite is bright white and is great for tying. Somewhere in the store is replacement bulbs that fit a common fixture and give the same light. The name brand complete lights are a little pricey but the bulbs are reasonable. I use one of these and 2 of the store bought setups that I found at a secondhand store. It's a good setup with plenty of light. Good luck with your setup, wish I had the space for one of my own.

ScottV

I just inherited the third bedroom from my wife. We closed in out 2 car garage so she could move her embroidery machine, sewing machine, and all her other craft stuff out there. I finally got a man-cave. Now I've got to fix it up. These are some great suggestions. Thanks

StumpHunter

Don't forget to install a couple of fire extinguishers with one being at the exit door. May want to get a first aid kit to keep in the room also. Just a couple of things that are over looked to often.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Those are some more really good tips. Thanks guys! I havent gotten as much done as I would like. I finished wiring all the walls (outlets, exhaust fan, a/c, fridge...) but still have to wire the lights (see if i still remember how to do 3 way switches:beat-up: ). Then I'll be ready to insulate and sheetrock!

Jigging15

I have a 12X16 shed for the same things. I bought 4X8 sheets of peg board and did a whole wall in it. It comes in very handy. I feel lots of lights is a key to a great work area.

LedHed

Sponsor
Ditto sb on the Ott lights. Lamps are expensive – bulbs reasonable. You can buy fluorescent bulbs (all sizes) in Daylight instead of cool white also – cost is a little more but worth it.

Like the hood idea.

Big score Scott – post up some pics of the new man cave.

SH
Never thought about a fire extinguisher – great idea.

J15
Post up some pics of your man cave. Can never have enough light – especially the older you get (LOL).

RD
Hope you are doing some before and after pics..

JUNGLEJIM1

I have two OTT-LITE 13 watt desktop models,one for my tying area and one for my pouring. I got both of mine for under $40 new on ebay. The replacement bulbs are what kills me,almost as expensive as the lamp. I'm definitely going to check Hobby Lobby and check on replacement bulbs.

Back