Any one using dubbing loops?

Fireshadow

I got a great bunch of dubbing from the dungeon. Called sea dragon. It dubbing with really small rubber legs mixed in. I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on using this for body material.

quivira kid

It looks pretty cool, but I haven't used that stuff yet. I have used something similar and really like it for some things! And a dubbing loop is the best way I have found to do it.

Bucho

If you want to handle long fibred, coarse material a dubbing loop is the way to go. I sometimes blend self cut rabbit, craft fur, even mooring rope fibre 1" and longer in my coffee mill. (not the one I mill my coffee with!) Twisting on the thread is nice if you tie small patterns or just want to cover something up without building a fluffy body.

Here are 2 large takes at a sandeel that I just tied for a friend which show the difference. Same dubbing, similar size pattern, but much fluffier body. Both are brushed out as good as it gets.

14143875rn.jpg

Fatman

Have used dubbing loops for several years and it helps alot with making some nice jig bodies that there isn't regular chenille for, just be careful not to overload the loop.

BucktailJiger

Yup sure do . Sea dragon dubbing is awesome stuff . If you got some add some ice dub silver in with it . Velcro it out and get a real nice buggy tappered body .

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Am another dub-looper myself. Used to use wax and stick it to the thread but it has limits when you want larger size ties.

Rubber in the dub mix - hmm...... wonder what straight up silicone skirt used in a dub loop would do? !

Bucho

AtticaFish said:
Rubber in the dub mix - hmm...... wonder what straight up silicone skirt used in a dub loop would do? !

Guess that depends on the thread. For the stuff I know - a 6/0 or thinner would probably break, while a dyneema might even cut right trough.
Kevlar will most certainly deal with it. :icon14:

Shoemoo

I'm starting to experiment with it, particularly on smaller jigs. In addition to an unlimited supply of cat hair, I also got a bunch of dubbing in a box of materials I was given last year, but I haven't done much with it until recently. I had been using one of those M shaped dubbing tools I got in a kit, but the thread tended to slip out if I wound it tightly. I got a dubbing whirler a few days ago and it seems to make the job much easier.

Fatman

One of my biggest challenges was a buddy wanting an original roadrunner color, chartreuse/teal/chartreuse, the only way after trying several ways was a dubbing mix. I finally got it by mixing a combination of SLF dubbing in Kingfisher Blue and some Wapsi Super Bright Green Caddis in my mixer and then adding little bits of the green to get it right.
100_1722.jpg

With silicone skirts you have to be careful with the Kevlar thread too tight and it will cut right through them - have better luck with GSP thread. 3/0 thread is okay but on small flies it bulks up too much.

creekychub

I'm constantly using dubbing loops. It's easier for me to get a bushier/buggier profile with a loop. I've seen rubber legged dubbing in magazines and it looks really cool, I just haven't managed to grab any yet.

quivira kid

For you guys that might enjoy blending your own, check out Senyo's Shaggy Dub made by Hareline. All it is is extra fine silicone leg material. I have started playing with it in several applications and really like it.

Fireshadow

Waiting on my wirller now. Found one on eBay for a great price. I have wine of those m bent dubbing loop tools also. If any one wants it its there's I have a hard time trying to get the thread into it to have a open loop. I like the 3/0 thread for the sea dragon dubbing but would defiantly use a 6/0 if I am using finer dubbing or peacock. It would looks a lot better with some flash in it, I was just taking a hunk of flash and putting it in between the clumps. Really like alternating my colors to get a two toned body. I think rubber skirt would be a little thick. The stuff in this is really small.

BucktailJiger

quivira kid said:
For you guys that might enjoy blending your own, check out Senyo's Shaggy Dub made by Hareline. All it is is extra fine silicone leg material. I have started playing with it in several applications and really like it.
Use that stuff to . Makes sweet bodies as well . Use fine mono , GSP , 14/0 to 8/0 thread with no problems . Got the Stonfo dubbing twister with the 2 wires works fine for me .

Fatman

For those that have used it do you find any problems with the cut silicone material pulling out or falling out before you twist it in the loop??

Fireshadow

Not with the stuff I'm using. That stuff is thin and light grabs with the dubbing material really well. I have had to trim some of the longer strands since they don't like to break off easy. It is tricky to brush out. The rubber material gives a lot of resistance. Started using a stiff plastic gun cleaning brush, it helps alot.

Back