Ants in Your Pants

SaltyBuckster

I found two of these little things and decided to paint them black.Got out a candle and grabbed the tiny little hook with a pair of needlenose and went for it.lol.I don't know how anyone could actually get a hookset with one of these.Tied some legs on one to see how hard it would be and YES,the thread got maybe three wraps before it was too much,lol.I don't know how you Flytiers do it.

Attachments

• DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 72

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those are a key piece of tackle for under the ice. If tying on any dressing, you definatley have to use some superfine thread or it builds up way too fast. If you have any type of tiny hackle, that works around the midsection also. Just only use 1 or 2 wraps.

Yours look good, should get the attention of some fish. Black head / red-butt ants are one of my favs.

SaltyBuckster

I've got two more.I'll try your pattern.If I don't freeze to death before I can get a fish up through the hole,I'll be ok.lol.

toadfrog

Got to use flat waxed nylon thread . Get ready to cuss cause you and I have been tying that big ole stuff . It's hard not to use a heavy hand on those tiny jigs . you have to hold the bobbin like a momma holds anew babies hand .

SaltyBuckster

Gotcha,the next two are going to be like attica mentioned,red bottom and black head with a mixture of black and red legs,lol.The only waxed thread that I have is pink.That's what it will be.Heading to the candle in the middle of the table to do some painting.

SaltyBuckster

Brrrrr.It don't get this cold in the middle of winter in Arizona,lol.Don't worry Doc,my windows have been closed for a real long time.As you can see,I am adapting.....I only do things that are less then 1/64 oz. now,lol.Time to catch some tidbits I guess.

StumpHunter

Looking good, you shouldn't have any trouble catching some on those.
That 20 degree temp drop feel great here!! Sounds like you are going to have an awaking winter to cold weather. You may enjoy it after you catch a few through the ice. LOL I'm glad our lakes don't freeze over or when they do freeze it doesn't last long. Good luck with the ants.

Back