Another take on why fish (possibly) strike lures in general (not accepted by most)

Arne

Be a great day to get out there and figure out which lures are going to work. Sunshine, no wind, and I am going to be stuck traveling. Oh well, sucks to be me. LOL, Arne.

hookup

LOL, love it. Bet I can narrow it down to a close 4 or 6 anyway. Great fish tho. Arne.
Color is blue but it's not the color that's magic. It's the way the color presents itself when in the water. Never seen anything like that and with the success I've had this year, I'd like to believe neither has the fish. Again - color only matters when it matters, but when it matters, it really matters.

hookup

In water, the blue turns on like it had a florissant light on inside

Hawnjigs

KISS
I switch my Baby Shad color to white pearl sometimes to show em something different, and it gets bit as well as blue ice. Mixed bag here, right now mostly white bass with a few wallys, wipers, smallies, drum, even some stray largies showing up. Nuthin big yet, but still decent.

hookup

Nice variety. I chase smallies but get a few bonus fish on occasion

naVbOAV.jpg

wesZnm2.jpg

SAJChurchey

Humans can use legs & arms to attack, tho there are exceptions the fish we commonly target only possess mouths. Practically all the predators I catch are hooked inside the mouth.

Altho this would appear to support a feeding response I once hooked nesting peacock bass (plural) with a large bare treble hook in the mouth by initiating a protective attack response with an aggressive in their face presentation. Years later I regretted disrupting a sacred event.

If one gets too close to a dog or critter that feels threatened they will bite. Maybe fish have a similar response?

That said 100% of my jig presentations are to mimic forage appearance and movement.

SM thanks for initiating a thought provoking discussion.

Yeah, in addition to defensive actions, such as defending a nest or fry, territorialism and competition amongst fish might also be overlooked reason for strikes. Some of the strikes we miss may be nothing more than a warning shot.

hookup

. Some of the strikes we miss may be nothing more than a warning shot.

Buddy and I talk about this allot. Predator fish, like bass, are aggressive. They strike to eat but also because they are pissed your baits in their territory. I believe that predator fish with charge a bait and then push a wake of water towards the bait to disorientate it. You can feel that wake on sensitive graphite high modulus rods. We call the wake a "rub"/. Many times I've felt the rub and have disciplined myself to slowly tighten any slack in the line and get ready to set the hook on a real strike

Arne

Hookup. Retirement is a great way to spend your time. Course seems like I am as busy now as i was before retirement. Seems like it takes longer to get anything done, maybe thats why I am so busy. Keep after them fish and catch a bunch. Arne.

hookup

Hookup. Retirement is a great way to spend your time. Course seems like I am as busy now as i was before retirement. Seems like it takes longer to get anything done, maybe thats why I am so busy. Keep after them fish and catch a bunch. Arne.
Arne. First few months I was so busy my time wasn't mine. Then I took a couple small jobs and that was a mistake.

Now I'm focused on family & fishing. I did a few things with the church and everyone was very critical on how I did things and tried to "educate" me. They educated me in realizing the river is my pew

Arne

Have kinda tried to stay away from jobs since I retired. Been talked into a couple this spring, enjoyed them, but they take a bunch of time and energy. Done with the one, the other includes fishing. Pretty much retired for the rest of the summer. Mite have to help with harvest a little this fall. For me that is more like fun than work. Drive a truck, run some machinery. Life is good. Arne.

hookup

I was a whore, err I mean a consultant. They own you for the time they pay you. And then the government wants a piece of the action.

I elected to fish now instead

Back