ament spinner jig how to's

upnort16

I recently acquired two Ament molds. One is No. B4 and the other is No. LA3. I would like to know the original style wire forms. Shapes, sizes and materials. I think I could make several ready made forms work but am curious about what was used in the day. I like modern, but appreciate the past, perhaps to a fault. Any and all help is thanked in advance.

toadfrog

The LA3 mold takes the beetle spin type wire . Most of the old forms are still availiable .http://www.oharespring.com/fishing.htm here is one place. Mustang wire in Oklahoma is another . Hagens and Worth are others.The B4 used some long hooks To do the jig style . If you ever find that hook let me know. there are some crimped sproat hooks that might work. As far as materials , hand tied furs , feathers and hair. Aberdeen hooks , tied trebles ect. ledhed posted an ament catolog here. JSC will probably be able to help and others . After plastic became popular I've seen a grub used instead of a blade on top of the spinner bait wire . Pretty darn effective if the spinner wire is a closed loop.

upnort16

I saw the catalogues posted and what a valuable resource for myself, being somewhat ignorant on the subject. TF give me an example or pics or dimensions of those "long hooks" you are searching for. I have about a dozen or so Pflueger carlisle hooks with a very long shank between the eye and bend, I'm quessing a size 6 or 4. Also all of those companies mentioned have great varieties, which ones, say from worth as they are in my home state of Wisconsin. The LA3 is the confusing one, it appears the lead holds a split ring or something and the hook attaches to that? Perhaps a pic or quickie tutorial on the procedure? I for one would appreciate the help. Using older molds, products, materials is such a piece of history in my mind, I love the idea of being a purist, but I just want to make and try a few.

toadfrog

They caught fish then ,they catch them now . I'll try to make a form and post a pic . You either use a split ring or open eye treble . H&H still makes a standard model lure same type and assembly as the LA3 mold . They use a double hook.

upnort16

Toad frog, you are awesome! Those pics make sense and by golly I think I got it! I see what you mean about the hook. The ones I have are probably too small, but will attempt a pour tomorrow. I thank You for all the help.

JSC

A little late getting in on this one .. I have the "B4" Spinner Bait Mold (Says in last catalog "Can be used to make single and twin spinner lures") ... In other words you can use the Carlisle Hook to make the Twin Spin" since you can mold it straight in (a couple of the cavities have a special "rounded" spot for the eye of the hook)

Originally a "Safety Pin " was used as the Wire for the single spin .. I made most of mine by hand forming the wire ... I think I got that mold in about "62" ... A lot of people called a single spin a "Safety Pin Spinner" ... The LA3 is the same as the "H & H Spinner" again the "Safety Pin" was used .. I think H & H has wire special formed ... Toad got real close to it ... they used a "Open Double Hook" comes loose in the package .. the skirt is a rubber one (of the old type) ... The last time I checked and to the best I can find .. they and the Hawaiian Wigglers were the only ones still using this type skirt. ( on the web site it looks like they have gone to the Plastic skirt same that they are using on the Snagless Sally by Hildebrandt)

Check out this URL http://www.hhlure.com/page2_spinner_lures.pdf

B4 .. Four Cavity 5/8, 1/2, 3/8 & 1/4 oz. Price 6.00
LA3 Three cavity 3/4, 1/2 & 1/4 oz. Price 5.00 (This is from the 1980 catalog the only one I have)
Shipping 1.00 for 5.00 Molds and 1.50 for 6.00 molds.

Don't have any that I have made with it on hand right now.

JSC

upnort16

Thanks JSC, I was wondering what those dimples in the B4 might be used for. Also is the Mustad 3191 carlisle hook adequate? I found several pics and it looks way short. I dug out the pflueger hooks I have and found some size 2 bend and overall length is 2 3/4" with a slightly angled eye. They fit the mold very nice, but don't have a clue as to locating replacements.... I assume the same concern as Toadfrog? It's raining here today, the ice is weak so I'll be "working" in my "room" getting ready for the annual trek to the mighty Mississippi. Thanks again.

JSC

"Also is the Mustad 3191 carlisle hook adequate?"

I would think so, in about a 3/0 .. or larger.. 1st chance I get I will check it out.

I don't think you will be able to find any more of the Pfluger Hooks ... I still have a few of their Sproats from way back when.

JSC

JSC

Attached are some shots of pourings from the B4
The carlise are size 3/0 and I removed the kirb ..

This mold will pour better with a ladel ... did not do as well with a Lee Bottom Pour ..

JSC
:bigfish: :jig:

Attachments

• AmentSpinnerBaits02.jpg
    AmentSpinnerBaits02.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 82

upnort16

Thanks JSC, your info has helped a bunch. To be able to pull the molds off the shelf, grab a hook or two and then pour a few heads to help a fellow hobbyist/addict learn is exactly why this forum is the best on the net, bar none! I simply would love to tour your shop/work area as you must have a ton of stuff, some of which have been long discontinued I'm sure. Resources like yourself and others are what is keeping this craft alive! I am in the process of remodeling the spare bedroom into the "fishing" room, but sometimes I just have to try out what was taught and I find it amazing how some complex looking baits are somewhat easy to make. I mean the basics are simple, the finesse and fine tuning must come with a bit of experience. I will be able to post a pic or two of my spinner bait progress and look forward to the advice to better them. Thanks again Jig Crafters!

Fatman

Posted in another thread same request - the scans of the old mold catalouges can you guys post them up here?? or send them to my in an email???

Back