Am I missing something on the vise?

mitrisin

I own and have been tying on a Peak vise for several months. The other I day tied on a friend's $300 HMH Standard vise. There was one thing I had trouble getting used to... On the Peak vise, when I rotate the vise, the shaft of the hook doesn't move it just rotates (it's on the same axis as the rotating shaft). I got use to rotating the hook when wrapping chenille and it is much easier than wrapping the chenille around the hook. With the HMH vise, the hook moves instead of just rotating. I hope this makes sense, but this seems like a big advantage to me.

StumpHunter

You can adjust a vice so the hook and shaft are lined up straight. Sounds like his vice hasn't been alined for the hooks you were using.

Jig Man

I didn't try an HMH when I was in the market for a vise, but Stump prolly has it right...

mitrisin

StumpHunter said:
You can adjust a vice so the hook and shaft are lined up straight. Sounds like his vice hasn't been alined for the hooks you were using.

Stump, I'm new at this but I couldn't see a way to adjust it so the hook shank wouldn't move when it rotates. I could adjust it horizontal but the shank still moves. I guess I would just have to get used to it.

Pepop

Looking at my Peak, I don't see any adjustment other than the alignment of the hook shank in the vise jaws. If the hook shank isn't horizontally aligned with the rotating shaft, the head will move in a circle.
IMAG0997_zps5286369f.jpg
If aligned correctly, the head will merely rotate (in a much tighter circle)
IMAG0998_zps41a4a427.jpg
but then, I'm no vise expert, just posting what I see.

StumpHunter

Pepop, if I remember right on the other side of the vice there is a set-screw so you can adjust the jaws up or down. I bought a Peak to try but liked my Atlas better so I sold it to Salty. The top tip of the jaw should be alined with the shaft

StumpHunter

mitrisin said:
I own and have been tying on a Peak vise for several months. The other I day tied on a friend's $300 HMH Standard vise. There was one thing I had trouble getting used to... On the Peak vise, when I rotate the vise, the shaft of the hook doesn't move it just rotates (it's on the same axis as the rotating shaft). I got use to rotating the hook when wrapping chenille and it is much easier than wrapping the chenille around the hook. With the HMH vise, the hook moves instead of just rotating. I hope this makes sense, but this seems like a big advantage to me.

It doesn't look like the HMH Standard vice is a true rotary vice, meaning that the hook can not be set to rotate in a straight line, you are only able to turn the hook over. Just looking at the pics I see of the vice.

mitrisin

StumpHunter said:
mitrisin said:

It doesn't look like the HMH Standard vice is a true rotary vice, meaning that the hook can not be set to rotate in a straight line, you are only able to turn the hook over. Just looking at the pics I see of the vice.
That must be it stump, I assumed that tny vise where the head could be rotated was a rotary vise. Thank you

Back