Am I doing this right?

dmm26

Here's my first jig, tied on my homemade vice. It was so much easier having both hands free. Are the proportions correct?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 153

Kdog

Nice Float-n-Fly. Also good for fall smallies in my neck of the woods.
Personally, I think your tail is a bit long but I like the fullness
Collar can be better but that comes with experieince and tying a couple dozen,

Overall, impressive for a first tie

jiggerjohn

Lookin' good! Remember, FISH never measure,weigh, check collar neatness,head shape, or eyes (tho humans often do!!). If your jig looks of good shape in water,with a nice action, it'll take bunches of trout,bass, and panfish, given appropriate speed & depth! In tying, I had a great local fly tying mentor who always insisted " A little ugly in your tying is always a good touch!" (Of course he always added "but,John, I think you're really pushing that limit with your ugly bugs!!!"). My tongue-in-cheek philosophy has always been to tie a jig "wild enough" looking (read;sloppy!) that no fish will ever believe a human could tie so bad, so the offering MUST be real food!

Jig Man

Nothin wrong with that jig...Some tye for looks some tye for durability. That call is yours...

What did you make your vice out of? Ole Sonny is always in the market for sompin different!! :D

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent start! Would gladly tie that on the end of my line going after smallmouth in my local river or crappie in a local reservoir that has very clear water. Proportions look right to me.

Jig Man said:
....What did you make your vice out of?....

By the looks of the picture...... i'm guessing some steel, vise grips and a welding rod. :icon14:

dmm26

Here's another one that I did up tonight, I really like how it looks!
96a7ac109b374e89e15aa1655b7dcf32.jpg

Hopefully the fish do too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Wirth

Good start! Now tie about 100K ;-0 Then you will be a fish smell'in weird old fur horder like the rest of us...

dmm26

Thanks river rat!
And thanks guys for the boost of confidence.

I'm thinking of getting actual steel head jigs, instead of these ones with the collar. It'll make a nicer tie. But for now... I'm just gonna make a bunch and see what works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back