Aloha Jigger John !

Hawnjigs

KISS
His wife Marilyn just called me with the sad news that her beloved husband of over 50 yrs passed away today very suddenly from a heart related episode. He is survived also by sons Rob and Sean + grandson Dra who is a fishing genius prodigy tho currently preoccupied with other teenage pursuits.

Besides being a thoughtful creative fanatical (like me) JIG fisherman, he was an expert martial artist and power lifter currently holding multiple national and world records. Despite being a max tuff guy he nonetheless preferred finesse fishing with 1/64 thru 1/24 heads tied with, seriously, anything possible and all caught fish. The legendary names of bygone anglers he sometimes mentioned in his posts were his actual peers that he shared water with from his time as a writer for "Fishing Facts".

15 or so years ago I was new to fresh water fishing and floundering around with tube jigs of all sizes mostly without great results till we met online and he instructed me how to tie first the Basher rabbit zonker + Flashabou pattern then next step Boolie same tie with an added propeller on the the hook shank. Man my success with them took off and I still use those fundamentals in my current jigs.

I will always consider him my best fishing bud even tho we never actually met in person. We connected with at times nearly daily email exchanges, and unfortunately the one time I purchased plane tickets to meet up with John the trip had to be canceled due to inclement weather out his way in PA.

Dunno, not sure if I should publicly post his full name but anyone on the forum can PM me for that info.

He's likely connecting with his best fishing pal Earl who preceded him into the great wide open.

Last edited:

JUNGLEJIM1

My condolences to his family and loved ones, he certainly will be missed on Jigcraft as well. He could certainly catch fish and his stories were entertaining. Shocking when it happens like that, I don't know what to say.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
My thoughts go out to his family. Very sorry to hear it and I know he was a good friend and mentor to you Hawnjigs. I had a couple private conversations with him as well and always enjoyed talking with him. His storytelling will surely be missed. Hopefully his legendary fishing will be carried on by his kids/grandkids. Have an easy ride JiggerJohn.

SPOONMINNOW

John and I communicated weekly comparing notes and ideas. He was always very complimentary of my ideas regarding soft plastic design innovations and did well with those I sent him upon request. I enjoyed reading his posts and emails that always expressed his obsession with catching fish with different lures and different ways plus the challenge of catching large fish on light tackle. He will always be an example that age doesn't equate to an inactive mind or less commitment to that which one has devoted one's life to.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, John was addicted to innovation always pursuing the next latest greatest idea, perhaps motivated by grandson Dra continually spanking him in catches.

Haha, what a contrast, me with "ain't broke don't fix" attitude still sticking with the trout ties he showed me 15 yrs ago and he never satisfied with last years successful contraption.

hookup

Haha, what a contrast, me with "ain't broke don't fix" attitude still sticking with the trout ties he showed me 15 yrs ago and he never satisfied with last years successful contraption.

That's me. I'm still catching them on jigs we chatted about 20 years ago.

Hawnjigs

KISS
John's beloved lifetime sweetheart Marilyn just got smacked with the loss of their youngest son Sean due to covid and other health issues. Sean was also an exceptionally skilled jig crafter and knew how to use his creations, frequently outfishing John. Hopefully Dra will continue the legacy of his Grampa and Dad pursuing angling excellence.

John is still my companion in thoughts on every fishing trip.

Jamesddean

Sorry to hear the loss of JiggerJohn and Sean. Prayers for Family. I was reading one of JJ's threads on here, and had just sent a PM to him a day or so ago. Now I know why it was never answered. RIP John and Sean.

Back