Alcova Reservoir - WY

Hawnjigs

KISS
This is an ideal family shoreline fishing spot - trout everywhere mostly 14-17". Everyone appears to catch chunky rainbows one after another on bait or lures. Many edge of the water drive up spots in many access areas. This was my occasional escape spot when the Miracle Mile bite was off due probably to overpressure or when the 30 mile drive to Alcova with the heater going full blast was necessary to prepare for getting out in frigid conditions. Seriously, one can park almost anywhere and catch quality trout on anything. I observed limited mobility seniors getting their 6 limit and beyond in rather short times. For myself, it was too dang EZ and I preferred the challenge of pressured moving water bigger fish at the Mile.

View attachment 4
View attachment 5

Attachments

• Alcova.JPG
    Alcova.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Alcova Res.JPG
    Alcova Res.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 49

Hawnjigs

KISS
QK, chatting my fellow anglers at the Mile, many were 20-30 yr. vets, definitely the kind of place that inspires regular returns. Without exception, they were of the opinion that the fishing ain't what it used to be, so yah, "soon" might be adviseable.

Toad, no need to tube or wade, just park and cast. I tried trekking into roadless areas but the fishing was no better than the drive ups. I saw guys hammering the trout off of one of the many boat ramp piers if one cares to walk 30 or 40'.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Rad, hahaha, no scanner so I used my .33 MP Mavica to take pics of pics - original prints courtesy of a Kodak disposable.

And actually, the area has an antique feeling. The Oregon Trail routed thru the N. Platte Basin, and had a major native American presense prior.

Back