Alabama Rig

ScottV

I watched FLW Outdoors on vs channel today and an old veteran, Paul Elias, won the tourney in Guntersville, AL in Oct. using the Alabama Rig. I've seen similar getups before, called umbrella rigs, but Paul used swim baits on this one, resembling a school of baitfish. His 20 fish for the tourney weighed over 100 lbs and he beat the second place angler by over 17 lbs. I think the program comes on again at noon on Sunday. It was good to see Paul do good. He was the Bassmaster Classic winner in 1982. He lives about 20 miles from me.
74533ec8.jpg

SaltyBuckster

They use them for Marlin also with about 25 swimbaits on them,lol.No hooks in them,with a stragler behind with a 14/0,Ha.

StumpHunter

That was a good total weigh in. I have a few of those rigs with out any jigs on them yet but not sure if I will ever get the nerve up to use em! Good post Scott.:)

ScottV

At the weigh in, Elias said, "I'm wore slap out". Lol. He said it was like throwing a softball all day. I bet he felt a little better when they gave him that $100,000 check.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Would think you would never loose a fish - hook it with one in the mouth and 3 of the other hooks in the side! ha!!!

The jig heads on that thing look amazing! Almost looks like a Vibee Shad Blade but with a hook instead of the lure blank. They fit the look/shape of those swim baits perfectly...... looks like they could be fun to tie on as well. :D

jschmidt

it is very cool... but the sportsmen in me wonders why a setup like that is allowed in a tournament setting? is it cause it only has 5 hook points? and a standard crankbait with trebles has 6?
just to me it looks like he is casting five lures at a time, regardless of the hook points.

I will give him... very creative and forward things.

toadfrog

Looks cool but I won't be trying to crank that in I'm to lazy to pull the anchor on my boat and move it to many places in a day.

Pup

I'd think that a day's worth of casting that contraption would inspire me to become a full-time bluegill and crappie fisherman. ;)

JSC

Report on Trolling it For Speckeled Trout ..

It works and on stripers & redfish as well according to a fishing friend who promotes for Manns.

They tried it out here in the river on a cold windy day and were hasppy with the results.

I am still ... Me and one fish at the time kinda guy.

Back